Nachos are another family favorite and definitely quick and easy to prepare. By now you may have realize that I love to prepare meals that don’t require me to spend hours in the kitchen. I’m always on the go, therefore I always have to be in and out of the kitchen in a jiffy. However, I love my meals to be full of colors and flavors. This recipe is certainly no exception. I incorporated the veggies that I have on hand; you may substitute your family’s favorite vegetables here. You can substitute the cheese sauce for hummus, kalamata olives and add vegan sour cream. I like to serve my nachos topped with black beans, salsa, and cheese sauce, and when it’s hot and bubbly from the oven, I top with the fresh veggies.
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans (recipe follows) or refried beans
- 1 bag organic corn tortilla chips
- Vegan cheese sauce (recipe follows) or vegan shredded cheese
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 2 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
Variation: Add chopped avocados, black olives, sweet corn, shredded lettuce, sour cream or guacamole.
- 1 cup soaked dried black beans (soak overnight)
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
Drain beans and rinse. Bring beans and water to boil in a large pot on medium. Reduce heat to simmer and cook cover for 45 minutes or until tender. Add remaining ingredients and cook until thicken. May need to add extra water.
- 1 cup cashew, soaked few hours
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
Preheat oven 400 degrees. Lightly oil baking dish and set aside. Heat black beans or refried beans and set aside. In a blender add cashew, water, onion, garlic, bell pepper, yeast flakes , lemon juice , tahini, salt, blend until smooth. Pour sauce into a medium saucepan and heat on medium high. Stir constantly until thickened, remove from heat.
To Assemble: Place tortilla chips on baking pan, top with salsa, black beans then cheese sauce on top. Place in oven for 10 minutes or until cheese shreds melt. Remove from oven and top with tomatoes, avocados, spring onion and cilantro. Serve immediately.