The perfect breakfast muffin, filled with delicious bite size pieces of apples. They are gluten-free, vegan, sugar-free and oil-free. They are hearty and filling, high in fiber so they are very good for your. Perfect way to start the day. I actually made two batches today, one for breakfast and one for supper.
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup gluten-free rolled oats
- ½ cup almond meal
- ½ -¾ cup coconut palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons flax seed meal
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup almond milk (I used Silk)
- 1 really ripe banana, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 apple peeled, cored and finely diced, extra for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons almond meal
- Pinch cardamom
Preheat oven 350°F and line muffin tin with liners. In a large bowl, add brown rice flour, rolled oats, almond meal, coconut palm sugar, flaxseed meal, baking powder and sea salt. In another bowl mix the almond milk, banana and vanilla. Stir into the dry mixture and combine well, I used a wire whisk. Fold in apple pieces. Spoon batter into muffin liners evenly. Combine topping in a small bowl and sprinkle on top of muffin batters. Bake for 30 minutes or until fork inserted comes out clean. Transfer to cooling rack and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
Chef’s Tip: I made my own almond meal using a high speed blender to process whole almonds. I also did the same with flax seeds to make flax seed meal.