Baked Stuffed Eggplant with onion, garlic, tomatoes and fresh basil then topped with vegan cheese is a simple yet flavorful meatless dish.
This dish was inspired by my friend Phyllis, who shared with me her love for stuffed eggplant. Her recipe that she shared with me called for rice and feta cheese, I loved making ratatouille so I decided to make a similar filling minus the zucchini. The result was simply delicious, I also topped with vegan shredded cheese because I had some on hand. But the dish tastes perfectly fine without it.
Come and join our informative, supportive, inspiring facebook group VEGAN RECIPES WITH LOVE to help you stay motivated on your journey. Our members share lots of recipes, health benefits of foods and tips! Bring your friends too…
For: 4 servings
- 2 medium eggplants, or 1 large, cut into halves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or 1/4 water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, leaves chopped (extra for garnish)
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 cup vegan cheese shreds, optional
- Preheat oven 400 degrees. Scoop out flesh, using melon ball peeler leaving half an inch shell.
- Bake remaining shell on a greased baking sheet for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil on in a large skillet over medium-high heat
- Add onions and garlic, saute until soft. Add tomatoes, reserved eggplant and cook for 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and sauce is thickened.
- Stir in seasonings. Spoon vegetables into reserve shells, top with shredded vegan cheese. Bake for another 10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped basil and serve with a big salad!