Delicious, healthy and crunchy Easy Homemade Granola Recipe, perfect for breakfast, dessert or snack. Rolled oats, with almonds, cranberries, sesame seeds, coconut flakes and sweetened with maple syrup. So much better than the store bought kind.
Eating healthy is vital to a healthy heart. Heart disease is a major cause of disability and the leading cause of death in the United States. Approximately 1.2 million Americans suffer from a heart attack each year. Heart disease being the number one killer of American women, killing five to eight more women than breast cancer.
Eating granola on a regular basis along with a diet high in fruits and vegetables, may greatly reduce your risk or reverse heart disease and high blood pressure. Oatmeal is widely known for its soluble fiber, which helps to lower cholesterol. It is also a good source of complex carbohydrate, which prevents blood sugar spikes found in refine carbohydrates. It’s low in fat and a beneficial part of a weight loss plan. Oatmeal contains fiber, manganese, magnesium, selenium, phosphorus and zinc.
NB-For those who are allergic to gluten, please make sure you use gluten free oats or substitute with quinoa flakes or buckwheat flakes. What better way to start the day than with heart healthy and delicious granola? Packed with fiber, vitamins, and minerals. This recipe has no added sugar or fats.
For: 6 servings
- 2 cups certified gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup almond slices
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, or raisins
- Preheat oven 300 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with greased parchment paper. In a large bowl combine oats, coconut flakes, flax seeds, sesame seeds.
- In a large bowl combine oats, coconut flakes, flax seeds, sesame seeds.
- Mix maple syrup, coconut oil, almond extract, vanilla and salt.
- Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients until oat mixture is evenly coated.
- Spread on baking sheet. Press down the granola with the palm of your hands firmly.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour turning every 15 minutes.
- Cool on baking sheet until crunchy. Mix in nuts and dried fruit.
- Store granola in an airtight container.