Oh yes! These healthy Gluten-Free Vegan Cauliflower Hash Browns are crisp on the outside and moist on the inside, so irresistible!
Are you watching your weight and looking for low-carb healthy options? Well, this delicious Gluten-Free Vegan Cauliflower Hash Browns recipe is perfect for you! You can also try my Broccoli Fritters.
As much as I like Trader Joes Hash Brown Patties, my recipe is so much healthier and lower in calories. I use fresh ingredients and I also get to control what ingredients I put in them.
One good thing is I read that, Trader Joe’s products do not contain genetically modified ingredients so they are a great option as a backup plan.
My hubby and son Daevyd loved my Gluten-Free Vegan Cauliflower Hash Browns so much that I’m making another batch for supper. I will served it with homemade sugar-free ketchup, scrambled tofu and Guacamole (Yummy, I know right!).
I love the fact that cauliflower has so many health benefits, so I was delighted to use it as the base for this recipe. Here are some of them:
- Cauliflower is a good source of vitamins and minerals. It contains vitamin B, C, and K. It also contains magnesium, thiamin, phosphorus, protein, potassium, manganese.
- Boosts brain development, cauliflower contains choline a compound known to improve cognitive function, memory, and learning.
- Cauliflower contains sulforaphane, a compound shown to kill cancer cells.
I processed the cauliflower and onion using my food processor until very crumbly, looking like rice. I then transferred the cauliflower rice to a bowl, I added besan flour, arrowroot powder, water, and seasonings. I then formed them into patties and cook them in a skillet on both sides (you can bake for 30 minutes in oven set at 400 degrees Fahrenheit)
You can substitute the besan flour with chickpea flour or other gluten-free flour.They keep their shape perfectly and don’t fall apart. You can make a double batch and freeze the rest.
To ensure that the patties are fully cooked on the inside is to cover the skillet for the first 5 minutes and then uncover for the remaining minutes.
I also find that when I wash my cauliflower then process in the food processor, I don’t need to add water for the hash browns to be shaped into patties. I included 2 tablespoons of water in the recipe for the extra moisture.
For: 6 patties
- Process cauliflower and onion in a food processor or grate with a box grater until crumbly.
- Transfer riced cauliflower mixture into a large bowl.
- Add besan flour/chickpea flour, arrowroot starch, garlic powder, salt, water and stir to combine.
- Divide batter into 6 equal portions, shape into patties, about 3 x 2 inches.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add about 2 or 3 patties and cook for 4-5 minutes on one side. Flip patties and cook for about another 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining batter until finished.