This delicious Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Jackfruit with Basil Pesto, is so simple and easy to prepare. Made with only 6 ingredients including, green jackfruit, purple sweet potatoes, garlic. basil, kumquats and Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil. A perfect blend of savory, citrusy and herby, highlighting the fruity taste of my favorite olive oil.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Bertolli. The opinions and text are all mine.
I have been crazy in love with the texture of green jackfruit, it reminds me so much of chicken. As a vegan, I love to prepare dishes for others who are thinking about becoming a vegan. I love to fix meals that have similar taste and textures to meat dishes. I believe it helps with transitioning.
I had this awesome opportunity to team up with Bertolli in creating this dish, I was so excited because Bertolli is the number one olive oil brand with over 150 years expertise in olive oil blending. Their Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil is non-GMO and verified USDA organic, made from organic olives and produced using organic farming standards. Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil is also great for grilling vegetables, seasoning meats, and flavoring all kinds of pasta and marinades, inspiring simple yet unexpected dishes.
Bertolli Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil contains healthy monounsaturated fats, so it’s perfect for preparing healthy meals that are full of flavors, like this flavorful Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Jackfruit with Basil Pesto. I purchased my bottle from my local Publix but you can also get it most supermarkets including Kroger, Safeway, Albertsons, and Shoprite or online at Villabertolli.com
Premium quality Bertolli Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil is perfect for today’s modern lifestyle. where health, family, and friends are the main focus along with the love and enjoyment of food and cooking.
For this recipe, I used young green jackfruit in brine from a can. They are available in Asian stores or online. Fresh green jackfruit, can also be prepared instead of canned. Fresh green jackfruit can also be found in Asian stores. It can be a daunting task to prepare, here is a tutorial if you feel in the mood for taking up the challenge. I also found my purple sweet potatoes in the Asian supermarket.
For: 6 servings
- 2 cups purple sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1- 20 ounce can green jackfruit, drained
- 2 tablespoons Bertolli extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup kumquats, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic
- For The Pesto
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup Bertolli extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kumquat juiced
- 2 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven 425 degrees F.
- Process pesto, combine basil leaves, olive oil, kumquat juice, garlic, salt and pepper in a food processor or blender until you have the desired texture, scraping down sides of blender/food processor. Pesto can be prepared ahead and kept refrigerated.
- Add drained jackfruit and 1/2 cup of water in a non-stick skillet. Cook on medium for 10-15 minutes or until tender and water has evaporated. Shred with a fork, season with salt and pepper to taste. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and cook stirring until edges are brown about 5 minutes. Set aside
- In a large baking dish, toss potatoes with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.Bake for 25-30 minutes, until potatoes are tender and golden brown. In a large bowl, toss potatoes, jackfruit with pesto; serve.