Delicious Scrambled Tofu Breakfast Recipe -Mexican Style is full of flavor and perfect comfort breakfast for that special person in your life!
I recently realized that I haven’t shared any of my scrambled tofu recipes here on my website. If my memory serves me right, there are recipes for scrambled tofu and one for scrambled chickpea tofu in my Healthier Steps cookbook.
Well, I wanted one that was not only unique but one that was very delicious and mind blowing. I experimented quite a lot in creating this recipe and my family is very pleased with the results every time I served it. The first two times, I added about 5 tortilla chips broken into pieces but this time I decide to serve it with skillet potatoes and avocado. They were hearty and delicious and this recipe is a definite winner!
If you are tired of the same old scrambled tofu recipe made with the same old ingredients, well this recipe is for you! This dish is awesome to serve for a special breakfast or brunch.
I cooked the tofu with garlic, tomatoes, bell pepper, with an aromatic herb and spice blend. If only you could just smell the aroma of my kitchen, it was so fragrant, warm and inviting!
While the tofu is cooking, I peeled the potatoes and cut them into thin slices. I then cooked these slices on medium-high heat in a non-stick skillet with coconut oil and Bragg’s liquid aminos until they were tender.
For: 4 servings
- 8 oz tofu, rinse and drained
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup organic diced tomatoes (no salt), or 1/2 cup tomato sauce plus 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes, (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 2 green onions, cut into slices
- 1/2 avocado, cut into slices
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 5 Tortilla chips, broken into pieces
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high, add onion and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and bell pepper and cook for a minute.
- Stir in cherry tomatoes and cook for about 3 minutes stirring. Add diced tomatoes, paprika, cumin, turmeric, oregano, yeast flakes, cayenne pepper, salt and cook for about 1 minute.
- In the meantime, crumble tofu with a fork and add to tomato mixture stirring to fully coat.
- Cover and allow to cook for about 5-7 minutes. Stir in tortilla chips, green onions, and cilantro.
- Remove from heat and serve.