After the Thanksgiving and Christmas festivities are over and we have gained a few extra pounds. I have the perfect solution to help us shed those unwanted pounds!It is my very delicious Vegan Cabbage Soup!
Cabbage soup is warm, hearty, satisfying and has a cleansing effect on the body. I made mine using water for I was out of my homemade vegetable broth. Feel free to use water or broth, the result with water was exceptionally good, I enjoyed 2 delicious bowls.
Check out more of my delicious soup recipes:
For: 8 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil, (or 1/4 cup water for sauteing)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped, white & green parts
- 2 carrots, cut in circles
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1 tbps dried
- 1 tsp parsley flakes
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 lbs green cabbage, roughly chopped
- 2 quarts water, or vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper, (optional)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium high heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, celery, green onions, cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in carrots, thyme, parsley, basil, and cabbage.
- Cook for another 2 minutes. Add water or broth, bay leaf, yeast flakes, paprika, cayenne pepper and salt.
- Cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to heat to simmer for 20-30 minutes. Serve!
I added the bay leaf to prevent gas, you may also add epazote herb or a piece of kombu sea weed.
I don’t recommend that you only consume cabbage soup, but you can include it as a part of your low-fat diet, high fiber diet.
I am so excited to start a new facebook group, sharing lots of delicious vegan recipes, health tips etc. from our members, please join us at Vegan Recipes With Love! If you tried this recipe, please comment below and let us know how you like it. Also, please follow us on Instagram!