After the Thanksgiving and Christmas festivities are over and we have gained a few extra pounds. I have the perfect solution to help us shed those unwanted pounds!It is my very delicious Vegan Cabbage Soup!
Cabbage soup is warm, hearty, satisfying and has a cleansing effect on the body. I made mine using only water but feel free to use water or broth, the result with water was exceptionally good, I enjoyed 2 delicious bowls. I love to prepare cabbage, not only it healthy and economical but it can be very delicious when cooked with lots of flavors. You got to also try my Curry Cabbage recipe, Roasted Cabbage Steaks, and my Ital Stew, if you are skeptical, you will be a die hard fan of cabbage after you try these recipes.
Cabbage is very healing and detoxifying on the body, It has compounds that rid the body of excess fluids transporting toxins along with it. Cabbage also helps the body by lowering blood sugar, reducing tumors and strengthening the immune system. Cabbage is rich in sulfur, sulfur helps the liver to detoxify and eliminate toxins.
I love to make soups and stew from simple ingredients. Please check out more of my delicious soup recipes:
For: 8 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil, (or 1/4 cup water for sauteing)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped, white & green parts
- 2 carrots, cut in circles
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1 tbps dried
- 1 tsp parsley flakes
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 lb green cabbage, roughly chopped
- 2 quarts water, or vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper, (optional)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium high heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, celery, green onions, cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in carrots, thyme, parsley, basil, and cabbage.
- Cook for another 2 minutes. Add water or broth, bay leaf, yeast flakes, paprika, cayenne pepper and salt.
- Cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to heat to simmer for 20-30 minutes. Serve!
I added the bay leaf to prevent gas, you may also add epazote herb or a piece of kombu sea weed.
I don’t recommend that you only consume cabbage soup, but you can include it as a part of your low-fat diet, high fiber diet.
I am so excited to start a new facebook group, sharing lots of delicious vegan recipes, health tips etc. from our members, please join us at Vegan Recipes With Love! If you tried this recipe, please comment below and let us know how you like it. Also, please follow us on Instagram!