After the Thanksgiving and Christmas festivities are over and we have gained a few extra pounds. I have the perfect solution to help us shed those unwanted pounds!It is my very delicious Vegan Cabbage Soup!
Cabbage soup is warm, hearty, satisfying and has a cleansing effect on the body. I made mine using water for I was out of my homemade vegetable broth. Feel free to use water or broth, the result with water was exceptionally good, I enjoyed 2 delicious bowls.
Check out more of my delicious soup recipes:
For: 8 servings
- 1 tbsp olive oil, (or 1/4 cup water for sauteing)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped, white & green parts
- 2 carrots, cut in circles
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1 tbps dried
- 1 tsp parsley flakes
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 lbs green cabbage, roughly chopped
- 2 quarts water, or vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper, (optional)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium high heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, celery, green onions, cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in carrots, thyme, parsley, basil, and cabbage.
- Cook for another 2 minutes. Add water or broth, bay leaf, yeast flakes, paprika, cayenne pepper and salt.
- Cover pot and bring to a boil. Reduce to heat to simmer for 20-30 minutes. Serve!
I added the bay leaf to prevent gas, you may also add epazote herb or a piece of kombu sea weed.
I don’t recommend that you only consume cabbage soup, but you can include it as a part of your low fat diet, high fiber diet.