These Vegan Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes are the perfect comfort dish for a laid back evening. Potato slices, smothered and baked with creamy cheesy cashew sauce is so easy to prepare. They are also great for when you have company or looking for the ideal dish for a potluck.
I had about 2 bags of organic potatoes that were just starting to sprout so I decided I had to prepare them or else I might just have to put them in the garden. Preparing this Vegan Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes recipe, was the perfect way for me to use up my potatoes. My Caramelized Onion Mashed Potatoes and Jamaican Spicy Potato Curry are next on my list to get the rest all used up.
It is so amazing how versatile potatoes are, you can:
- Boil them
- Fry them
- Roast them
- Bake them
- Mash them
and the list goes on and on… They are one of nature’s most comforting foods.
For this recipe, I boil the potatoes first, then cut into slices. I added a creamy cashew sauce and top with extra vegan cheese then bake.The result was so cheesy and delicious, exactly what I was wanting and my family thoroughly enjoyed it.
For: 6 servings
- 6 medium potatoes
- 2 spring onions, cut into slices
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews, soaked for 2 hours
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1 cup vegan shredded cheese
- Scrub, peel whole potatoes and bring to boil in a large pot of salted water on medium-high heat. Reduce to simmer for 20 minutes or until tender
- Meanwhile, prepare the cheesy sauce. Drain and rinse cashews, place in a high-speed blender or food processor with water, yeast flakes, coconut milk, onion, garlic, lemon juice, salt, paprika and cayenne pepper.Process until smooth and creamy. Preheat oven 400. degrees.
- Drain potatoes and allow to cool enough to handle. Cut into thin slices and place into a 9x13 baking dish, spring with green onions and pour cheese sauce. Repeat and finish with vegan cheese shreds and paprika sprinkled on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until top is slightly golden.