This is my family favorite Vegan Lasagna, it is so easy to prepare and a go-to recipe for company! This yummy Vegan Lasagna is made with creamy tofu ricotta, tomato sauce, vegan cheese layered with gluten-free lasagna sheets!
Lasagna is one of those dishes that I prepare for special occasions or when I’m in the mood for comfort foods. This recipe is always a big hit when I serve it and I can’t ever remember having leftovers. This delicious lasagna is guaranteed not to stay in the serving dish very long. It can be prepared ahead of time and freezes well for your big event so you can have more time for other preparations.
You can use any kind of hummus you have on hand for the vegan ricotta. I used brown rice lasagna but you can use slices of zucchini or roasted eggplant slices instead. For other casserole dishes, check out my Easy Black Bean Enchilada and my Gluten-Free Cauliflower Casserole dishes.
For the lasagna, I sauteed onion, garlic, bell peppers, and zucchini and added spaghetti sauce. Then I prepared a tofu ricotta by mashing tofu and adding Italian seasoning, then preparing a creamy cashew sauce mixed into the tofu. I have also used store bought vegan cream cheese or vegan hummus in place of the cashew cream with excellent results. See recipe notes for instructions on how to make cashew cream I then prepared a batch of cashew cheese. I layer the spaghetti sauce, lasagna sheets, tofu ricotta, and cashew cheese then repeat.finally topping off the lasagna with remaining spaghetti sauce and 1 1/2 cups of vegan shredded cheese.
This recipe is amazing and will be a huge hit when you serve it!
For: 10 servings
- Vegan Sauce
- 1 26-ounces spaghetti sauce, or more
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 zucchini, diced
- Vegan Ricotta
- 1 pound x-firm tofu, drained and mashed and set aside in a large bowl
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasonning
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, rinse and drained
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 cup cashew cream, vegan cream cheese, artichoke hummus
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Other Ingredients
- 1 pound lasagna noodles, uncooked (I used Jovial Brown Rice Lasagna Noodles)
- 1 pound chopped spinach, lightly steamed (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups vegan cheese shredded, optional (I used Daiya vegan cheese) or Cashew Cheese (recipe below)
- Basil leaves for garnishing
- Cashew Cheese Sauce
- 1 cup cashews, soaked in water for at least 1 hour and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven 375 degrees. In a skillet over medium heat oil, add onion, garlic, red bell pepper, a zucchini and cook until tender. Add spaghetti sauce and set aside.
- Mash tofu with your hand or a fork and stir in Italian seasonings and set aside. Using a food processor, process water, cashew, yeast flakes, cashew cream/cream cheese or artichoke hummus, onion, garlic, salt and process in a food processor until creamy. Steam spinach until wilted, using about 1/4 cup of water. Drain spinach and stir into ricotta
- Place a thin layer of spaghetti sauce in the bottom of a casserole dish. Cover sauce with uncooked noodles about 4 leaving space for noodles to expand. Cover noodles with tofu ricotta mixture, then dribble a thin layer of cashew cheese sauce over the tofu mixture. Next cover with noodles, then tofu ricotta mixture then place a layer of cashew cheese sauce, then a layer of noodles, then sauce. You may place the mozzarella cheese or remaining cashew cheese sauce.
- Bake for 45 minutes covered with foil, to make sure noodles are cooked then uncover for 10 minutes. Garnish with parsley.