Lasagna is one of those dishes that I prepare for special occasions or when I’m in the mood for comfort foods. This recipe is always a big hit when I serve it and I can’t ever remember having leftovers. This delicious lasagna is guaranteed not to stay in the dish very long. It can be prepared ahead of time and freezes well for your big event so you can have more time for other preparations.
You can use any kind of hummus you have on hand for the vegan ricotta. I used brown rice lasagna but you can use slices of zucchini or roasted eggplant slices instead.
- 2- 26 oz bottled spaghetti sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 1 zucchini diced
- Vegan Ricotta
- 1 lb x-firm tofu drained and mashed and set aside in a large bowl
- 1/2 cup cashew
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup frozen spinach thawed or 2 cups fresh
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese or artichoke hummus
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 lb lasagna noodle, uncooked (I used Jovial Brown Rice Lasagna Noodles)
- 2 cups vegan mozzarella cheese, shredded, optional (I used Daiya vegan cheese) or Cashew Cream (recipe below)
- Fresh parsley leaves for garnish
- Cashew Cream
- 1 cup cashews soaked in water for at least 1 hour and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Preheat oven 375 degrees. In a skillet on medium heat oil, add onion, garlic, red bell pepper, and zucchini and cook until tender. Add spaghetti sauce and set aside.
In a food processor process water, cashew, spinach, yeast flakes, cream cheese or artichoke hummus, onion, garlic, salt and process in a food processor until creamy. Mix into tofu and set aside
Place a thin layer of spaghetti sauce in the bottom of a casserole dish. Cover sauce with uncooked noodles about 4 leaving space for noodles to expand. Cover noodles with tofu mixture, then dribble a thin layer of cashew cream sauce over the tofu mixture. Next cover with noodles, then tofu mixtures then place a layer of sauce, then a layer of noodles, then sauce. You may place the mozzarella cheese or remaining cream sauce. Bake for 45 minutes covered with foil, to make sure noodles are cooked then uncover for 10 minutes. Garnish with parsley.