FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
The perfect way to start the day. I actually made two batches today, one for breakfast and one for supper. These Healthy Apple Muffins have just the right amount of apple flavor and sweetness with coconut sugar in them. Topped with a crumbly streusel topping, they are perfect for packed lunches and a quick snack.
How To Make Healthy Apple Muffins
To make these apple muffins, I chose a sweet crisp apple, my favorite is Fuji apples, Peel and dice the apples and set aside. Prepare the streusel topping by mixing coconut sugar, almond meal and cardamom or cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside. Combine the dry ingredients, I used a combination of gluten-free rolled oats and brown rice flour from Amazon.
Make sure the roll oats are certified gluten-free if you are gluten intolerant or have celiac disease to avoid cross-contamination of gluten found in regular oats. Ground flaxseed is added as an egg replacer.
Combine wet ingredients, almond milk, ripe banana, and vanilla. The banana taste is not overpouring, it is very subtle that you won’t even notice. Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients, fold in diced apples and scoop batter into prepared muffin pan. Sprink the top of muffins with the streusel mix.
- Energy: 182 kcal / 761 kJ
- Fat: 6 g
- Protein: 2 g
- Carbs: 30 g
- Preparation: 15 min
- Cooking: 30 min
- Ready in: 45 min
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored, finely diced and set aside (I used Fuji apple)
- 1/4 cup almond meal, or flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar, or organic cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, or a pinch of cardamom
For The Muffins
- Preheat oven 350°F and line muffin pan with liners. Peel and dice the apples and set aside in a medium bowl. To prepare streusel topping mix almond meal or flour, coconut sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add brown rice flour, rolled oats, almond meal, coconut sugar, flaxseed meal, baking powder, and sea salt. In another bowl mix the almond milk, banana, and vanilla. Stir into the dry mixture and combine well, I used a wire whisk.
- Fold in apple pieces. Spoon batter into muffin liners evenly. Combine topping in a small bowl and sprinkle on top of muffin batters.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until fork inserted comes out clean. Transfer to cooling rack and allow to cool for 5 minutes.