The amazing broccoli hummus recipe is so easy to prepare. Steamed broccoli is added to a creamy hummus base with a flavorful taste of chickpeas, garlic, tahini. Perfect to serve as a dip, sandwich spread, veggies, or with crackers.
First published September 8, 2016
What Is Hummus?
Hummus is a Middle Eastern dip made from mashed chickpeas, tahini paste, garlic, lemon, olive oil. hummus that includes broccoli. I love plain hummus but, depending on the season or what I have on hand, I love adding extra veggies to my hummus recipes, they take the hummus to another level. Like my Roasted Fennel Hummus, Zucchini Hummus, or Artichoke Hummus.
Health Benefits Of Broccoli
I love the taste of broccoli and also its great nutritional benefits. It is low in calories and high in vitamins and minerals. It provides iron, calcium, protein, Vitamin A, B, C, K, omega 3’s, zinc, magnesium, selenium.
Broccoli is one of the world’s healthiest vegetables. So I’m always looking for ways to incorporate it, in my menu. Read more about broccoli’s nutritional benefits here.
Broccoli Hummus Ingredients
- Broccoli florets – choose fresh broccoli with bright green color. You can break the florets from broccoli stalks of broccoli crowns. See How To Cut Broccoli.
- Tahini paste – found in Mediterranean stores, health food stores, or supermarkets, a popular ingredient in hummus that gives a creamy texture and nutty flavor.
- Olive Oil – I love extra-virgin olive oil, it also helps to give your hummus a smooth creamy texture. See Olive Oil Benefits.
- Water – I used filtered water, the water helps to ensure that you end up with a very smooth hummus
- Lemon juice – give a subtle tart flavor to your hummus. Substitute with fresh lime juice.
- Garlic – gives flavor to the hummus, you can use more or less, depending on your tastebud/
- Cooked chickpeas – you can Cook Chickpeas from scratch or use 1 (15-ounce) can.
- Cumin – add the classic Meditteranean flavor to hummus.
- Sea salt – I used Himalayan pink salt
How To Make Broccoli Hummus
It is so easy to make hummus from scratch
First, wash and cook the broccoli until tender. Rinse broccoli in a colander under cold water or in an ice bath to stop the cooking process.
Roasted broccoli would also be flavorful.
Add broccoli to a food processor, with tahini, olive oil, water, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, sea salt. Process broccoli hummus until it is smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. I served the broccoli hummus with avocado wrapped with brown rice tortilla.
What to eat With Hummus?
- Tortilla Chips
- Sweet Potato Toasts
How To Store Broccoli Hummus?
Hummus keeps up to 7 days in a container with a fitted lid and stored in the refrigerator.
Other Vegan Broccoli Recipes To Prepare
- Broccoli Fritters
- Roasted Broccolini
- Vegan Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Vegan Broccoli Cheese Casserole
- Air Fryer Frozen Broccoli
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Fortunately, because of the Ads on our website, readers and subscribers of Healthier Steps are sponsoring many underprivileged families.
- Energy: 101 kcal / 422 kJ
- Fat: 4 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Carbs: 13 g
- Preparation: 5 min
- Cooking: 3 min
- Ready in: 8 min
- For: 2 cups
- Bring water to boil in small saucepan, add broccoli florets and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and drain water using a colander. Rinse florets under cold water to halt cooking process.
- Place broccoli florets in food processor with tahini paste, olive oil, water, lime juice and garlic.
- Process until smooth, Scrape down sides of food processor.
- Add chickpeas, yeast flakes, cumin and salt.
- Process until smooth.
- Serve immediately or keep in the refrigerator for 3=7 days.