For: 4 servings
- Cabbage balls
- 2 cups cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup onion, finely minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup chickpeas, (or garbanzo flour)
- Curry sauce
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, (1/4 cup water)
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp chickpeas, (or garbanzo flour)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper, (optional)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp cilantro leaves, (plus extra for garnishing)
To make cabbage balls
- Place cabbage in a food processor and pulse until finely shredded. Transfer shredded cabbage into a bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven 400ºF/200ºC. Lightly grease a baking sheet and set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium heat, add onion, garlic and cook until onion is soft.
- Stir in coriander, cumin and cook for another minute. Add shredded cabbage and cook, while stirring, for about 5 minutes, or until cabbage is tender.
- Season with salt to taste. Transfer cabbage into a bowl and allow to cool. Stir in chickpea flour and mix well to form a smooth dough.
- Shape cabbage dough into equal sized balls. Transfer onto baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, turning after 15 minutes.
To make curry sauce
- Heat oil or water in a large saucepan on medium heat, add onion and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger, cook for about 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add coriander, turmeric, cumin and chickpea flour, stirring constantly for about 1 minute.
- Stir into saucepan, coconut milk, water, bay leaf, Cayenne and salt to taste. Cover saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the sauce thickens. Turn off heat and stir in cilantro leaves.
- Add cabbage balls and serve over rice or potatoes.