FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
It is so amazing that with the addition of avocado and coconut cream, this vegan carob mousse is so creamy, silky and thick just like traditional chocolate pudding or mousse.
What Is Carob?
Carob is a legume from the evergreen carob tree, it is also called locust bean, St. John's bread, The pods are dried and grounded into a powdered form that resembles a cocoa powder.
Carob is normally sold in vacuum packed cans and found in health food stores. It should be kept in a cool dry place to prevent it from clumping.
Carob Vs Chocolate
I'm not a huge fan of chocolate so my recipes will use carob instead, however, they can easily be used interchangeably.
- Simple put chocolate has caffeine and carob doesn't, carob has a naturally sweet taste that will enhance your recipes and requires less sweetener.
- Carob has three times the amount of calcium than chocolate, making it great for strong bones and teeth.
- Carob contains less fat than chocolate.
What Does Carob Taste Like?
Carob doesn't taste exactly like chocolate but it is very similar and opinions vary. It is a popular chocolate substitute among those who are on a caffeine diet. It looks like chocolate with similar texture and acts similarly in recipes.
Carob has its own unique taste, it is naturally sweet with a caramel flavor. It is milder in taste than chocolate. Try my other carob recipes, Vegan Tiramisu, Carob Brownies, Carob Muffins, Hot Carob Drink, and Carob Energy Bites.
Carob Mousse Ingredients
- Coconut cream
- Carob Powder
- Maple syrup
How To Make Carob Mousse?
Making carob mousse is incredibly easy, with the use of a high-speed blender. Add all the ingredients and process until the mousse is thick and creamy.
You can use a frozen banana or chill the coconut cream and avocado so that your carob mousse will be ready to eat. The banana gives it a great flavor and it is naturally sweet.
Avocados are incredibly nutritious, they contain healthy fats compared to other fruits which contain mostly carbohydrates, making avocado a low-carb fruit. I used the most popular variety called the Hass avocado.
Check out my Avocado Lime Mousse recipe.
After serving carob mousse in a glass jar, top with coconut whipped cream or granola, nuts or fruits.
Other Amazing Desserts To Try
- 2 kcal / 8 kJ
- 1 g
- 3 g
- 4 g
- 5 min
- Ready in:
- 5 min
- 1 medium ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1 medium ripe banana, peeled
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup carob powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
Additional Recipe Ideas
- Peel avocado and discard pit. Place it in a food processor or high-speed blender with the banana, coconut cream, maple syrup, carob powder, vanilla and sea salt.
- Process until smooth. Spoon into 2 cups and garnish with coconut cream and carob chips, Serve immediately or keep refrigerated.