A flavorful twist on traditional Shepherds Pie that is full of flavor, this CHICKPEA SHEPHERD’S PIE tastes so hearty and comforting, savory chickpeas, topping with creamy mashed potatoes are the perfect treat!
When I lived in England I enjoyed Shepherd’s pie which was a minced lamb stew topped with mashed potatoes. Since becoming vegan, I haven’t made a vegan version. I would have used lentils to make my vegan version but that is the most popular vegan version out there and I wanted to present a different twist.
I had a lot of chickpeas in 1 1/2 cups portions in my freezer and I remembered that when I lived in Virginia, I cooked for a couple and they loved when I made my CHICKPEA STEW on top of MASHED POTATOES so I decided that my Chickpea Shepherds Pie would be an adapted version of my chickpeas stew recipe.
How To Make Chickpea Shepherd’s Pie
This vegan casserole recipe is one of the easiest recipes to make, you can use leftover mashed potatoes or even make a double batch of the stew and serve it one day with rice and the next day as Shepherd’s pie. First I made a batch of my Vegan Garlic Mashed Potatoes recipe, while the potatoes are boiling, I prepared the chickpea stew. I used pre-cooked chickpeas or 2 cans. sauteed in onions, garlic, celery, herbs in a seasoned vegetable broth.
You can also sprinkle 1 cup of vegan shreds cheese over the top before broiling. Try my amazing Lentil Shepherd’s Pie recipe.
Other Delicious Vegan Casserole Recipes To Prepare
If you make this vegan lentil shepherd’s pie, snap a photo and hashtag #healthiersteps — we love to see your recipes on Instagram, Facebook & Twitter!
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
Get Ready For Your Fall Cooking With These Amazing Products. (Amazon Affiliate Links)
- Courses: Entrée, Main Course
- Cuisines: American, Mediterranean
- Energy: 291 kcal / 1216 kJ
- Fat: 10 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Carbs: 44 g
- Preparation: 15 min
- Cooking: 30 min
- Ready in: 45 min
- For: 8
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas, or 2 cans
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth, or 1 1/2 cups water plus 1 vegetable bouillon
- 1 tablespoon organic cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons Bragg's liquid aminos
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1 batch Garlic Mashed Potato recipe
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat, add onion and cook stirring until soft, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, celery, and carrots and cook stirring until softened, another 3-5 minute.
- Stir in parsley, basil, oregano, thyme, cumin and cook for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and chickpeas and stir to coat.
- Mix cornstarch with vegetable broth and Bragg's liquid aminos and add to chickpeas, bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer for about 5 more minutes or until thickened and vegetables are tender.
- Spread chickpea stew at the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish, spread mashed potatoes on top and bake for 20 minutes and broil for 5 minutes for the top to be golden brown (be careful not burning)
I’m making this for dinner today but unfortunately all the vegetable bouillon I was able to locate contained mono sodium glutamate so I will have to make my own vegetable broth. I’m omitting celery (wasn’t able to get it in time), using fresh parsley in place of dried (could only get fresh) and using soy sauce in place of liquid aminos.
Awesome Coreen, it should still work, adding thyme, garlic, scallion, red bell pepper and a bit of Scotch bonnet pepper, if you have will help to boost the flavor as well. Corren I hope you enjoy. Happy holidays to you and your family.
Made a variation of this some time ago and it was delicious. Sometimes with the ingredients not being easily accessible, I have to improvise but great recipe!
I loved it! I made it for a work thanksgiving get together and everyone loved it and some asked for the recipe! Thanks for your great recipes!
Thank you Moalyne, I’m so happy that your coworkers loved it. Oh please send them to my website, I appreciate it. Happy Thanksgiving!
Made this and both my husband and I loved it. So tasty. The left overs we used with black rice.
This looks so delicious
Thank you Catherine, hope you try it!
I love this dish! Didn’t have enough chickpeas and also had to substitute brown rice flour for cornstarch— still delish and hearty. Thank you!
Thank you for your feedback Jodi, I’m so happy you loved it, brown rice flour is a great substitute.
I’m making this for Christmas dinner. Can I prepare the dish the night before and bake it the next day?
You sure can Katheryn, have a wonderful Christmas dinner!
This turned out great and got tons of compliments from my family! My husband requested that we put this in our regular dinner rotation. Thanks for the tasty holiday dinner recipe!!
Wow that’s awesome, thank you!
Are the liquid amino really vital? I can’t find this locally.
Elke, substitute with soy sauce but make sure the dish is not too salty
1 stalk means the entire celery?
No, just 2 ribs.
So delicious, I plan to make it again
That’s wonderful Daniel, so happy you love it!