I’m all about quick meals, so when my son Daevyd showed me taco shells that were in the pantry and said he wanted me to prepare them for him. I was all excited, "yes I will make Chickpea Taco". We had some chickpeas already and we had just bought some avocados so it was perfect. Now I had to make my own taco seasoning.
Although my daughter Devannah had bought some prepared taco seasonings from the health food store, I always prefer preparing my own sauces, seasonings etc 95% of the time. It’s just me, I’m a ‘do it yourself’ kind of person. By the way that’s how I started making my own soaps.
My mindset is, ‘if someone can do it, so can I.’ It’s crazy but that’s the way I am. I also would love to sew my own clothes. I love to know what I’m eating and what I’m putting on my skin.
Anyway back to our chickpea taco, the recipe is very easy to prepare but tastes amazing.You are more than welcome to use a store-bought taco seasoning, if you decide to try mine, you may adjust the ingredient especially the cayenne pepper. I used only a tiny bit since I was making it primarily for Daevyd my son.
For topping, I added salsa, chopped cherry tomatoes, guacamole, lettuce and green onions.
- 3 kcal / 13 kJ
- 1 g
- 1 g
- 5 g
- 15 min
- Ready in:
- 15 min
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinse and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Pinch Cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut sugar, or sweetener of choice
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 7 corn tortilla shells
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and saute until soft about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic, cumin, paprika, coriander, cayenne pepper, sugar and cook until fragrant about 1 minute.
- Add chickpeas and stir to coat, using the back of the spoon to mash some of the chickpeas for about 2 minutes. Add salsa and stir to combine and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Season with salt to taste
- To assemble, place about 1/4 cup chickpeas in each taco shell, then layer with salsa, guacamole, lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream. Garnish with spring onions. Enjoy.
Come and join our informative, supportive, inspiring Facebook group Vegan Recipes With Love to help you stay motivated on your journey. Our members share lots of recipes, health benefits of foods and tips! Bring your friends too!