Chipotle Lime Crema
A truly complex sauce that can fulfill your desires for something smoky, spicy, and creamy, and can be literally thrown together into a blender in seconds, is such a rare find.
It has become my new favorite for burritos, burgers, quesadillas, and literally anywhere else I can put it.
What Are Chipotles in Adobo?
The jalapeños we commonly see are unripe green peppers. After they ripen and turn red, they are then picked and smoked until they are completely dry, giving them a wonderful smoky flavor that can add a delicious flavor to so many dishes.
The dried chipotles or chipotle powder can be bought and tastes amazing in marinades and other seasonings. Adobo is a sauce made of tomatoes stewed in various spices.
Canned chipotles in adobo sauce work amazingly to make delicious smoky marinades and add depth to soups, dressing, dips, and any other dishes you can stick them.
Find them in most supermarkets with a Latin aisle and in Latin grocery shops.
In this recipe, only half of a can is required, so I recommend blending the chipotles in adobo in a food processor and freezing them in an ice cube tray, making it easy to pop one out and use as needed.
I’m sure that as soon as you taste them, you’ll understand why I love them so much.
How to Make Chipotle Lime Crema?
This recipe literally could not get easier. Add your mayo, your chipotles in adobo, lime, and seasonings. Blend away, and enjoy!
This sauce refrigerates well and is a great condiment to add to your Cinco de Mayo spread, parties, and cookouts. The fact that it is so diverse, yet such an upgrade to any food it touches.
If you make this chipotle lime crema recipe, snap a photo and hashtag #healthiersteps — we love to see your recipes on Instagram, Facebook & Twitter!
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
- Categories: Gluten-Free, Vegan
- Course: Sauce
- Cuisines: Cinco de Mayo, Hispanic, Latin, Mexican
- Energy: 77 kcal / 322 kJ
- Fat: 7 g
- Carbs: 3 g
- Preparation: 3 min
- Cooking: 2 min
- Ready in: 5 min
- For: 8 Servings
- 1 cup vegan mayo, click link for recipe
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/2 can chipotles, in Adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- salt, to taste
- Add everything to your blender, and blend till smooth!
- Keep in fridge for up to 7 days, and use anywhere you'd add condiments.
- The amount of spice in this sauce has to be controlled by you. Use half of the sauce in the can for the flavor, and use one pepper if you like it mild, two if you can handle a kick, and three if you’re feeling quite adventurous.
This was so awesome, thank you for sharing