Oh yes! These healthy Gluten-Free Vegan Cauliflower Hash Browns are crisp on the outside and moist on the inside, so irresistible!
Are you watching your weight and looking for low-carb healthy options? Well, this delicious Gluten-Free Vegan Cauliflower Hash Browns recipe is perfect for you! You can also try my Broccoli Fritters.
As much as I like Trader Joes Hash Brown Patties, my recipe is so much healthier and lower in calories. I use fresh ingredients and I also get to control what ingredients I put in them.
One good thing is I read that, Trader Joe’s products do not contain genetically modified ingredients so they are a great option as a backup plan.
My hubby and son Daevyd loved my Gluten-Free Vegan Cauliflower Hash Browns so much that I’m making another batch for supper. I will served it with homemade sugar-free ketchup, scrambled tofu and Guacamole (Yummy, I know right!).
I love the fact that cauliflower has so many health benefits, so I was delighted to use it as the base for this recipe. Here are some of them:
- Cauliflower is a good source of vitamins and minerals. It contains vitamin B, C, and K. It also contains magnesium, thiamin, phosphorus, protein, potassium, manganese.
- Boosts brain development, cauliflower contains choline a compound known to improve cognitive function, memory, and learning.
- Cauliflower contains sulforaphane, a compound shown to kill cancer cells.
I processed the cauliflower and onion using my food processor until very crumbly, looking like rice. I then transferred the cauliflower rice to a bowl, I added besan flour, arrowroot powder, water, and seasonings. I then formed them into patties and cook them in a skillet on both sides (you can bake for 30 minutes in oven set at 400 degrees Fahrenheit)
You can substitute the besan flour with chickpea flour or other gluten-free flour.They keep their shape perfectly and don’t fall apart. You can make a double batch and freeze the rest.
To ensure that the patties are fully cooked on the inside is to cover the skillet for the first 5 minutes and then uncover for the remaining minutes.
I also find that when I wash my cauliflower then process in the food processor, I don’t need to add water for the hash browns to be shaped into patties. I included 2 tablespoons of water in the recipe for the extra moisture.
I am so excited to start a new facebook group, sharing lots of delicious vegan recipes, health tips etc. from our members, please join us at Vegan Recipes With Love! If you tried this recipe, please comment below and let us know how you like it. Also, please follow us on Instagram!
For: 6 patties
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F. Lightly spray a baking sheet with oil, set aside. Process cauliflower and onion in a food processor or grate with a box grater until crumbly.
- Transfer riced cauliflower mixture into a large bowl.
- Add besan flour/chickpea flour, arrowroot starch, garlic powder, salt, water and stir to combine.
- Divide batter into 6 equal portions, shape into patties, about 3 x 2 inches.
- Place patties on baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes, turning halfway or heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add about 2 or 3 patties and cook for 4-5 minutes on one side. Flip patties and cook for about another 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining batter until finished.