Disclaimer – Reprinted with permission from The Essential Indian Instant Pot Cookbook, copyright © 2018 by Archana Mundhe. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.
My friend Archana of Ministry of Curry recently approach me about doing a review on her newly published cookbook. I couldn't turn down such an offer and I knew from day one that I was going to love her cookbook.
It was literally 'love at first sight' when I opened the package with her colorful cookbook with its mouthwatering recipes and lots of beautiful photos.
About The Cookbook The Essential Indian Instant Pot Cookbook
The Essential Indian Instant Pot Cookbook contains a collection of 75 simplified Indian recipes for the electric pressure cooker.
The cookbook contains many vegetarian and vegan recipes even though there are meat recipes, so far I have cooked the curried cauliflower with peas twice because it was so amazing and not to mention how delicious this Instant Pot Chickpea curry tastes!
- The Breakfast section contains many vegetarian recipes that you can easily convert to plant-based recipes by substituting milk for a plant-based milk like almond milk.
- You can substitute the meat and paneer for tofu, chickpeas, cauliflower. The dishes are so easy to prepare and flavorful.
- There is a section for making your own spice blends like sambar powder, garam masala, and Rasam powder.
My Favorite Recipes from The Essential Indian Instant Pot Cookbook
- Breakfast - Ginger Almond Oatmeal, Oatmeal With Cardamon And Nuts.
- Lentil And Beans - Curried Whole Lentils, Black-eyed Peas Curry, Curried Red Kidney Beans
- Rice - South Indian Rice And Lentils, Cumin Rice, Lemon Rice.
- Soups And Stews - Vegetable Sweet Corn Soup, Red Lentil Soup With Spinach, Masoor Palak Soup.
- Vegetarian Curries - Raw Mango Curry, Baby Potatoes in Spicy Masala Sauce, Stuffed Baby Eggplant, Curried Cauliflower With Peas.
How To Make Instant Pot Chickpea Curry
- Soak dried chickpeas in warm water for 4 hours or overnight. Drain chickpeas and set aside.
- Heat oil in the high Saute setting on the Instant Pot. Saute cumin seeds until sizzle, add onion, ginger, garlic, salt and spices except for garam masala.
- Add chickpeas and water and cook on high pressure for 35 minutes. Pressure Release naturally and add tomatoes and garam masala. Select Saute setting and cook tomatoes for 5 minutes.
- Press cancel button to turn off the Instant Pot and ladle into bowls and serve with chopped cilantro.
- Organic chickpeas or older beans may need extra 5-10 minutes of cooking time.
- 119 kcal / 497 kJ
- 7 g
- 20 g
- 52 g
- 4 h
- 1 h
- Ready in:
- 5 h
- 1 cup dried chickpeas
- 3 1/2 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, (I used coconut oil)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1-2 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder, or another mild red chili powder (see notes)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 plum tomatoes, cored and finely diced
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- In a bowl, combine the chickpeas and 2 cups warm water and let soak for at least 4 hours or up to overnight. Drain the chickpeas and set aside.
- Select the high Saute setting on the Instant Pot and heat up the oil. Add the cumin seeds directly to the hot oil at the bottom edges of the pot and cook until they start to sizzle, about 1 minute.
- Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Cover the pot with a glass lid (or another non-locking lid that fits) to speed up the process.
- Add the ginger, and garlic and saute until aromatic, about 1 minute. Add the coriander, salt, chili powder, turmeric, and chickpeas; pour in the remaining 1 1/2 cups of water; and stir well with a wooden spoon, nudging loose any browned bits from the pot bottom.
- Secure the lid and set the Pressure Release to Sealing. Press the Cancel button to reset the cooking program, then select the Pressure Cook or Manual setting and set the cooking time for 35 minutes at high pressure.
- Let the pressure release naturally; this will take 10-20 minutes. Open the pot and stir in the garam masala. Select the high Saute setting and cook until the tomatoes soften about 5 minutes. Press the cancel button to turn off the Instant Pot. Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with cilantro and serve.