Traditionally “stew peas” are cooked with salted beef, oxtail, or pig’s tail, but here I present a vegan version that will please the palate of the most skeptical.
Beans or peas are a Jamaican staple because they are so versatile and flavorful, we incorporate beans in many of our Jamaican dishes like my Jamaican Rice And Peas and Jamaican Gungo Peas Soup.
How To Make Vegan Jamaican Stew Peas?
Jamaican stew peas with dumplings (spinners) contain a Jamaican version of unleavened dumplings also known as spinners, usually made with white flour but regular flour will work also try my Instant Pot Version.
I used whole scotch bonnet pepper for more of the authentic flavor and not the spicy heat. Coconut milk is an essential component of this stew and many other Jamaican dishes.
For another simple pea stew, check out my Chickpea Stew recipe. Serve your stew peas with Jasmine Rice.
If you are wanting to cook authentic Jamaican dishes this dish is so easy to make, I have made this dish several times for my guests and they tell me how amazing it tastes. Jamaican stew peas an ultimate comfort dish is my go-to recipe.
When growing up in Jamaica, we tend to make our own coconut milk from fresh coconuts than the canned version. It was less expensive and resulted in more flavorful milk.
Now that I live in the USA and don’t usually have access to fresh coconut, I use canned coconut milk in my recipes. I usually purchase Thai Kitchen Unsweetened Coconut Milk.
. Since I made this recipe in 2012, I now only eat gluten-free dumplings. I have updated this recipe to include a recipe for Jamaican gluten-free dumplings.
. Substitute 2 cans of kidney beans for the dried kidney beans and omit the water.
. Use 1-14 ounce can coconut milk if you don’t have fresh coconut milk
Other Jamaican Recipes To Try
If you make this recipe, snap a photo and hashtag #healthiersteps — we love to see your recipes on Instagram, Facebook & Twitter!
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Categories: Gluten-Free, Vegan
- Course: Stew
- Cuisine: Jamaican
- Energy: 184 kcal / 769 kJ
- Fat: 8 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Carbs: 25 g
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 1 h 30 min
- Ready in: 1 h 40 min
- For: 12 Servings
- 2 cups dried kidney beans
- 6 cups water
- 1-14 ounce can coconut milk
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 - 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, or 1 sprig of fresh
- 1 medium carrot, cut into coins
- 1 whole Scotch Bonnet pepper stem intact, or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice or 6 berries
- 1 batch dumplings/spinners
- 1/2 cup flour, I used Krusteaz all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For The Stew Peas
- Sort and wash beans, and soak them in water (about 3 inches above the beans) overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- The following day, discard water and rinse beans, place them in a large saucepan with the 6 cups of water, and bring to a boil, lower heat to simmer until tender for about 1 hour.
- Add coconut milk, carrots, onion, garlic, and continue simmering. Add spinners and thyme and other seasonings, simmer for another 30 minutes or until sauce is thick. Discard pepper before serving. Delicious served with brown rice and a salad!
For The Dumplings
- Place flour and salt in a bowl. Add water and mix to make a stiff dough. Pinch off small pieces of dough and roll into the palm of hands to make long thin dumplings. Drop into simmering stew.
This is the second time I have made this, a huge hit with the family. I had to change the kidney beans to black beans and black eye peas , as family don’t like kidney beans. Love Jamaican food, enjoying trying new recipes
Nicola, I’m so happy you adjusted it to your family’s liking and they enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.
Such a good comfort food! I love it so much
Eileen, thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us.
Made it and loved it. Same for your callaloo and red peas soup recipes.
I can’t wait to try this on these chilly evening, looks yummy, thanks for sharing.
Thank you Erica, I hope you enjoy!
Thank you Michell for your recipe ; ) and Thank you for being you ! Love Natasha ; )
Ahh, you are welcome Natasha, you are very sweet!
This is a fabulous dish! I made it today with both kidney and black beans, and served over brown basmati rice. So. Delicious. Thank you for sharing it!
Al, thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I’m so happy you enjoyed it. Thank you very much.
Great recipe thank you!
Annie, I’m so happy you enjoyed it. Thank you.
Delicious, thank you!
Made this today. It was delicious. Used canned beans since that’s what I had. Came out perfect. Will make again.
Thank you Deanna for your feedback, I’m so happy you enjoy it.
Deanna, I’m so happy you enjoyed it. Thank you for your feedback.
I was looking for a stew peas recipe that didn’t require any meat and this one was perfect! Thank you.
Stephanie, I’m so happy you enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing your feedback.