This recipe is so easy to prepare, I love broccoli, not only for its nutritional benefits but I love how easy it is to prepare. I love to prepare broccoli with vegan cheese sauce. Check out my recipe for Cheesy Broccoli Soup.
I love baked potatoes but let us admit they are rather boring on their own. This Vegan Broccoli Cheese baked potato recipe is perfect if you are wanting to add more nutrition to your meals and get the little ones to eat more veggies.
Shock your family by getting out of the rut of making the same old plain baked potatoes and they will thank you for it!
More Reasons to Eat Broccoli:
- Cancer prevention- Broccoli is a member of the cruciferous vegetables that contain cancer-fighting compounds known to prevent cancer.
- Broccoli is high in Vitamin C, which helps in reducing wrinkles and slow down the aging process.
- Broccoli is high in fiber. Fiber helps to maintain a healthy digestive system and lower the risk of colon cancer.
- Broccoli contains calcium that is beneficial in building strong bones and preventing osteoporosis.
My son Daevyd helped me in preparing them, he made the vegan cheese sauce. I definitely got his stamp of approval. This was our first batch using red skin potatoes.
To prepare this Vegan Broccoli Cheese Baked Potatoes, I scrubbed and baked the potatoes for an hour. I used red skin potatoes but Russet or any other baking potatoes such as Russet is fine.
That gave us more than enough time to prepare the vegan broccoli cheese sauce.
For the cheese sauce, I made a cashew cheese sauce with carrots for color and extra creaminess. If you are looking for a nut-free version check out my Potato Cheese Sauce recipe.
In order to achieve very smooth sauces, I recommend you invest in a high-speed blender. My favorite blender is the Blendtec. There are several kinds on the market. Once you switch to a high-speed blender, you will be so happy you did!
- Categories: Gluten-Free, Vegan
- Course: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- Energy: 249 kcal / 1041 kJ
- Fat: 6 g
- Protein: 8 g
- Carbs: 33 g
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 1 h
- Ready in: 1 h 15 min
- For: 5 servings
- 5 medium baking potatoes
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked for at least one hour
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes, (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- sea salt, to taste
- paprika, for garnishing
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F. Scrub potatoes and prick with a fork. Bake on baking sheet for 1 hour.
- Put chopped carrots into medium size pot with water to cover. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook until soft about 5 minutes. Add broccoli florets and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Rinse and drain cashews, place in a high-speed blender
- Add water and drained carrots with remaining ingredients.except the broccoli florets.
- Process until creamy.
- Pour sauce into pot with broccoli, Return to cook until sauce is thick and creamy!
- To assemble, cut potatoes lengthwise. and spoon sauce over potatoes. Garnish with paprika, delicious served with a salad!
If you have leftover cheese sauce it can be stored in the refrigerator in a covered container for about 5 days.
I just made this and it really hit the spot. Total comfort food to me. I plan on making this regularly. The sauce seems very versatile. I’m already thinking of flavor combos to add! I might add chipotle powder to make nachos, with retried beans and
Awesome Alexandra, so happy you enjoyed them! Yes so comforting and filling and I love all the great ideas you mentioned for the sauce, thank you for your feedback!
What can I substitute the cashews with? (nut allergy)
Pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds.
On my 4th time reading the recipe, I see it says to add the remaining ingredients. Sigh. My bad. ;)
Awesome, I’m so happy you got it Katrina. Please feel free to let me know when I have made a mistake.Sometimes I catch myself saying what I’m going to write in my thoughts but not actually typing it.
Your recipe doesn’t say when the yeast, lemon juice, onion and garlic powder are added. I’m going to add it to the blender after the carrots and cashews are combined with water——
These broccoli cheese baked potatoes look yummy! Have to try them.
Awesome Platt, you will love them!