FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
When I first moved from England to the USA, I wasn’t on a vegan diet at the time and I longed for fish and chips, fries drizzled with malt vinegar and mushy peas. My husband introduced me to Long John Silvers fish and chips and they were such a big disappointment. Fast forward today, I enjoy making the best vegan fish and chips and I don’t even miss the traditional recipe.
I gave up my desire to eat fish and chips in the USA, became vegan shortly after and it is only about a year ago when I started trying to make a plant-based version of fish and chips. This is now 23 years later and it is amazing the power of our appetite, how we can still have the memories of what our favorite foods taste like before we became vegan.
This is one of the reasons why I might do recipes for those who are transitioning and who are longing for those memorable foods that are connected to happy times in their lives, special occasions, loved ones. like their favorite grandma’s recipe.
During the time I had fish and chips, I was a student nurse in England and that was my go-to dish in between school and my part-time work.
How To Make Vegan Fish And Chips?
To make this recipe, I lightly fried both my fish and fries in a non-stick skillet. I didn’t use a lot of oil because what I did was once I partially cooked the tofu fish on each side, I then cover the skillet for a few minutes to allow the food to cook through.
I removed the cover and allowed the tofu to finish cooking until the batter was crisp and golden brown on each side. This method allowed the steam to fully cook the food on the inside. Most fish and chips recipes on the internet add beer to their batter but I don’t drink alcohol so I don’t have any in my recipe.
I used Pillsbury Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour for the batter and the result was an amazing crispy batter.
I wrapped the tofu in plain nori seaweed, the type that is used for making sushi. The one I used is the Yamamotoyama Sushi Party Toasted Seaweed, I love this because I don’t have to cut the nori sheets, they already cut. If you cannot find this one just cut regular nori sheets to fit the tofu slices.
For the tofu, I love Trader Joes super firm. Whitewave and Twin Oaks Community they are all pretty firm ones. I used Trader Joe’s super-firm tofu for this recipe, it holds its shape and you never have to press it.
What Vegetable Goes With Fish And Chips?
My absolute favorite vegetable to go with my vegan fish and chips is peas. in particular mushy peas. Curry sauce is also great or plain old ketchup and tartare sauce.
Other Amazing Recipes To Try
- 1 pound extra-firm tofu, drained and cut in 12 slices
- 2 tablespoon Bragg liquid aminos
- 2 teaspoons nutritional yeast flakes, optional
- nori sheets
- 2 tablespoons oil, for frying
For The Tofu Fish
- Place tofu slice in a casserole dish in a single layer. Combine Bragg's liquid aminos and yeast flakes in a small bowl. Brush tofu slices on both sides with mixture and allow to marinate for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the batter.
For The Batter
- In a medium bowl, mix 1/4 cup gluten-free flour, cornmeal, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, celery seeds, allspice, 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add water and whisk to form a smooth batter that looks like a pancake batter.
- In another bowl, combine 1/2 cup gluten-free flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Take a nori sheet and measure approximate size needed to cover each tofu slice. Cut nori sheet and wrap around tofu, then dip into batter to fully coat the tofu. Finally, dip in flour mixture, set aside on a large plate. Repeat process until all tofu is done.
- Once the oil is heated, transfer about 4 tofu fish in skillet and cook for about 5 minutes on each side or until tofu fish is golden brown. To make sure batter is properly cooked, I cover the skillet halfway for a couple minutes, then uncover so the batter will crisp up.
- Delicious served with chips, peas and a vegan tartare sauce.