This is my family favorite Gluten-Free Vegan Lasagna Recipe, it is so easy to prepare and a go-to recipe for company! This yummy lasagna is the best vegan lasagna recipe you will make, it has creamy tofu ricotta, pasta sauce, and cashew cream layered with gluten-free lasagna sheets!
This recipe lasagna is an updated recipe that I shared back in 2011. I have since simplified it or at least made the instructions clearer and updated some of the photos:
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
Lasagna is one of those dishes that I prepare for special occasions or when I’m in the mood for comfort foods. This recipe is always a big hit when I serve it and I can’t ever remember having leftovers.
This delicious lasagna is guaranteed not to stay in the serving dish very long. It can be prepared ahead of time and freezes well for your big event so you can have more time for other preparations.
You can use any kind of hummus you have on hand for the vegan ricotta. I used brown rice lasagna but you can use slices of zucchini or roasted eggplant slices instead.
For the lasagna, I sauteed onion, garlic, bell peppers, and zucchini, and added pasta sauce. Then I prepared a tofu ricotta by mashing tofu and adding Italian seasoning, then preparing a creamy cashew sauce mixed into the tofu.
I used a combination of garlic hummus and cashew cream with excellent results (see recipe notes for instructions on how to make cashew cream).
I layer the pasta sauce, lasagna sheets, tofu ricotta, pasta sauce and cashew cream then repeat, sometimes I end by topping off the lasagna with vegan shredded cheese
This recipe is amazing and will be a huge hit when you serve it!
I have used several gluten-free vegan lasagna sheets with success, here is a list of gluten-free lasagna sheets.
Also please leave a star rating ∗
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- 34 kcal / 142 kJ
- 16 g
- 16 g
- 46 g
- 1 pound lasagna noodles , uncooked (I used Jovial Brown Rice Lasagna Noodles)
- 2 26-ounces jar pasta sauce (garlic basil) , or more
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion , chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper , chopped
- 1 zucchini , diced
- 1 pound x-firm tofu , drained and mashed and set aside in a large bowl
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasonning
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup cashew cream , recipe below
- 1/2 cup hummus
- 1 pound spinach , chopped
- 30 min
- 55 min
- Ready in:
- 1 h 25 min
To Prepare Pasta Sauce
- Preheat oven 375 degrees. In a skillet over medium heat oil, add onion, garlic, red bell pepper, a zucchini and cook until tender. Add pasta sauce, stir and set aside.
To Prepare Tofu Ricotta
- Mash tofu with your hand or a fork and stir in spinach, Italian seasonings and set aside.
- Prepare cashew Cream: using a food processor or blender, process cashew, water, lemon juice, yeast flakes, onion powder, garlic powder, salt until creamy.
- Mix 1/2 cup cashew cream and hummus with mashed tofu and set aside
To Assemble Lasagna
- Place a thin layer of pasta sauce in the bottom of a casserole dish. Cover sauce with uncooked noodles about 4 leaving space for noodles to expand. then sauce.
- Cover noodles with tofu ricotta mixture, topped with some pasta sauce followed by cashew cream. Next cover with noodles, then tofu ricotta mixture, pasta sauce, and remaining cashew cream.
- Bake for 45 minutes Covered with parchment paper topped with foil or baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes or until noodles are cooked.