Vegan macaroni salad, easy to prepare, the perfect dish to bring to a summer potluck, backyard cookout or picnic.
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
What Veggies To Add?
This Vegan Macaroni Salad is always a hit at my gatherings. It is my go-to recipe when I’m serving a large group of friends and family. Use your favorite veggies or what you have on hand such as carrot, zucchini, yellow squash, peas, tomatoes etc.
It is really up to your personal preferences what veggies you put in your macaroni salad, personally, I use what veggies I have on hand.
How Do You Make Macaroni Salad?
This recipe was first published Jul 3, 2012, I have updated the photos.
To prepare the macaroni salad, I cook the pasta in boiling water, then drain and rinse under cold running water to stop the cooking process and wash away extra starch that will cause the pasta to stick together.
I also use gluten-free elbow macaroni, some of my favorite brands are Ancient Harvest, Barilla, Bionaturae, Ronzoni, and Bonavita. You can purchase them at your local health food store or online on Amazon,
For this easy macaroni salad recipe, I also share a homemade oil-free vegan mayonnaise recipe but you may substitute with your favorite brands like Vegenaise or Just Mayo. if you prefer. I like this mayonnaise recipe because it is oil free and super creamy.
For the relish, I used Pa’s Pickle Relish, it is vinegar-free and tastes amazing!
How Long Will Macaroni Salad Last In The Fridge?
Macaroni salad should be stored in a tightly covered container in the fridge for 3 days, most likely it won’t last that long since it is so delicious.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- 2 cups dry elbow macaroni, I used gluten-free
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise, store bought or see recipe below
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon relish
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced or (pimiento peppers)
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced, black olives (optional)
- Vegan cheddar, cubed (optional)
Homemade Cashew Mayo
For The Macaroni Salad
- Cook elbow macaroni according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- In a large bowl, mayonnaise, garlic, dill, salt, and relish. Stir in macaroni, red bell pepper, celery, onion, black olives and cheddar cheese cubes. Mix well, cover and chill.
For The Vegan Mayo
- Blend water, cashews, milk, starch lemon juice, onion, garlic, and salt until creamy.
- Pour in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, cook stirring until sauce begins to thicken. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Store in refrigerator. Use in place of mayo in your favorite recipes.