FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
The original recipe was posted, December 29, 2011
Tofu meatballs are delicious served alone as an indulgent appetizer, or with the delicious sweet and sour sauce recipe. If you prefer, you can substitute the sauce with your favorite like marinara sauce for spaghetti dinner or a creamy alfredo sauce or in a sub. I love them with rice and steamed broccoli.
I’m so proud to say that this Vegan Tofu Meatballs recipe and Cauliflower Nuggets have been served for the past three years at the Vegetarian Society Of DC annual Thanksgiving dinner and has received raved reviews. The great thing is that the recipe is also gluten-free.
How To Make Vegan Tofu Meatballs
To make the meatballs, make breadcrumbs by blending a slice of bread in a food processor (I used gluten-free bread).
They also freeze well. I prefer to use extra-firm tofu, Trader Joes has a pretty firm tofu. I make my own breadcrumbs by processing the chopped up bread slices in a food processor. Combine with walnuts, sage, oregano, and basil.
In a food processor or blender, place tofu, liquid amino’s, nutritional yeast flakes, tapioca starch, onion powder, garlic, and sea salt and process.
Pour blended mixture into the bowl with seasoned breadcrumbs and mix well.
Form into balls and bake for 30 minutes turning meatballs after 15 minutes. Transfer tofu meatballs to a serving dish and spoon sweet and sour sauce over the tofu meatballs and serve.
- 415 kcal / 1735 kJ
- 14 g
- 29 g
- 17 g
- 10 min
- 30 min
- Ready in:
- 40 min
- 1 package extra-firm tofu, mashed
- 1 cup gluten-free breadcrumbs, or 4 slices or bread
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Bragg's liquid aminos
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch, or cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon granulated onion powder
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of rubbed sage
- Pinch of oregano
- Pinch of basil
Sweet and Sour Sauce Recipe
To Make Tofu Meatballs
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F. Grease baking sheet or parchment lined baking sheet and set aside. Make breadcrumbs by blending 1-inch pieces of bread in a blender or food processor, scoop breadcrumbs into a large mixing bowl. Stir in walnut, sage, oregano, and basil.
- In a food processor or blender, place tofu, liquid amino’s, nutritional yeast flakes, tapioca starch, onion powder, garlic, and sea salt and process.
- Pour blended mixture into the bowl with seasoned breadcrumbs and mix well. Form into balls and bake for 30 minutes turning meatballs after 15 minutes. Transfer tofu meatballs to a serving dish and spoon sweet and sour sauce over the tofu meatballs and serve.
To make Sweet And Sour Sauce
- In a medium saucepan add pineapple juice, tomato sauce, sugar, tapioca starch, onion, garlic and sea salt, whisk.
- Heat sauce over medium-high heat until it comes to a boil. Whisking constantly, reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens.