This is by far the best Vegan Tofu Meatballs smothered in homemade sweet and sour sauce that I have eaten! It is perfect for someone eating meatless meals for the first time!
They are delicious served alone as an indulgent appetizer, or you can substitute the sauce with your favorite like marinara sauce for spaghetti dinner or a creamy alfredo sauce or in a sub. I love them with rice and steamed broccoli.
I’m so proud to say that my Vegan Tofu Meatball and Cauliflower Nuggets have been served for the past three years at the Vegetarian Society Of DC annual Thanksgiving dinner and has received raved reviews. The great thing is that the recipe is also gluten-free.
They also freeze well. I prefer to use extra-firm tofu, Trader Joes has a pretty firm tofu. I make my own breadcrumbs by processing the chopped up bread slices in a food processor.
- Veggie Balls Recipe
- 1 package extra firm tofu mashed
- 1 cup Gluten Free Bread Crumbs or 4 slices of bread
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Bragg’s liquid aminos
- 2 tablespoons Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 2 tablespoons Tapioca Starch
- 1 tablespoon Granulated Onion Granules
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch each of dried sage, oregano, and basil
Preheat oven 35o degrees F. Grease baking sheet or parchment lined baking sheet and set aside.
Make breadcrumbs by blending 1-inch pieces of bread in a blender or food processor, scoop breadcrumbs into a large mixing bowl. Stir in walnut, sage, oregano and basil.
In a food processor or blender, place tofu, liquid amino’s, nutritional yeast flakes, tapioca starch, onion powder, garlic, and sea salt and process.
Pour blended mixture into the bowl with seasoned breadcrumbs and mix well.
Form into balls and bake for 30 minutes turning meatballs after 15 minutes. Transfer tofu meatballs to a serving dish and spoon sweet and sour sauce on toForm into balls and bake for 30 minutes turning
Transfer tofu meatballs to a serving dish and spoon sweet and sour sauce (recipe below) on top.
- Sweet and Sour Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoon Coconut Palm Sugar
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated onion granules
- 1/8 teaspoon Granulated Garlic
- pinch of salt (opt)In a medium saucepan add pineapple juice, tomato sauce, sugar, tapioca starch, onion, garlic and sea salt, whisk. Heat sauce over medium high heat until it comes to a boil. Whisking constantly, reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens.
Come and join our informative, supportive, inspiring Facebook group Vegan Recipes With Love to help you stay motivated on your journey. Our members share lots of recipes, health benefits of foods and tips! Bring your friends too!