This black bean and quinoa burger recipe is super easy and highly addictive!
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
The reason that I’m celebrating is the fact that I haven’t been able to find a decent vegan and gluten-free burger bun that is storebought until my recent trip to Utah, in the past I have had to settle for sandwiches and wraps.
In Salt Lake City Utah I found this awesome place called City Cakes and Cafe which sold the fanciest cakes, baked goods, and precooked meals.
I was amazed about all the gluten-free vegan options I could find in Salt Lake City, I was overjoyed and wanted to try out all the restaurants and visit all the supermarkets to see what they had that I couldn’t find here in Florida. If only my trip was longer.
I bought 1 dozen vegan, gluten-free burger buns to take back to Florida with me, I decided to freeze some and enjoy them for quite a while. They were soft and light and perfect for my Black Bean And Quinoa Burger.
I decided to do a makeover of this Black Bean And Quinoa Burger recipe, as it was first posted on April 5, 2015, and it was definitely in need of some tender loving care with new photos and description.
Quinoa has become more mainstream because of its numerous health benefits. Its especially loved for its high protein value, quinoa contains all 9 essential amino acids.
It is versatile in creating both sweet and savory dishes, it’s ease in preparation and it’s mild flavor and it is gluten-free.
Quinoa is substituted for rice and paired with black beans in this delicious quinoa and black bean burger. These flavorful patties are so lovely my husband was very impressed with the taste he had seconds.
How To Make Black Bean And Quinoa Burgers?
For this Vegan, Gluten-Free Blackbean Quinoa Veggie Burger, I wanted them to be moist on the inside and crisp on the outside with lots of flavors like my Ultimate Oatmeal Burger.
To make this recipe, I used quinoa. If you have never cooked quinoa, here is how to cook quinoa.
I saute onion, garlic, bell pepper, Aband green onions until fragrant. Stir in black beans and seasonings, mashed black beans with a fork, potato masher or place in a food processor. I then stirred in rolled oats, formed burgers and bake.
I spread the burger with my Vegan Cashew Ranch Dip, get the recipe here.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Energy: 132 kcal / 552 kJ
- Fat: 3 g
- Protein: 6 g
- Carbs: 21 g
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 35 min
- Ready in: 45 min
- 8 Servings
- 1 cup quinoa cooked
- 1 1/2 cups black beans cooked, or 1 15 ounce can drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or 1/4 cup vegetable broth for sauteeing
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup certified gluten-free rolled oats
- Burger Buns
- Red onion slices
- vegan cheese, slice (optional)
- Ranch Dressing
- Preheat oven 375 degrees and lightly oil baking sheet.
- Heat oil or broth in a medium saucepan over medium high heat. Add onion, garlic, bell pepper, and green onion. Cook until onion is soft about 3 minutes.
- Stir in black beans, cumin, paprika, oregano, sea salt, cayenne pepper.
- Transfer bean mixture to a large bowl, add cooked quinoa and mash thoroughly with a fork or potato masher. Stir in rolled oats and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Form about 1/4 cup of the mixture into patties (I got 8 medium ones). Place on prepared baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, turning halfway. Delicious served with gluten-free burger buns, as sandwiches or with your favorite salad and dressing.
- Use leftover quinoa, black beans.
- These burgers freeze well so make a large batch and freeze extras.
- You can make vegan meatballs instead and serve with your favorite pasta sauce over pasta.
- Substitute cooked rice or millet for quinoa.