Gluten-Free Vegan Gizzada
If you look around on different cuisines, you will find several dessert recipes that are vegan, gluten-free, and utterly delicious. For someone who has a sweet tooth, these recipes are a treasure.
One such recipe that we bring to you today is the Jamaican Gizzada recipe. It is a popular Jamaican dessert that has its roots in several other cuisines. Other Jamaican favorites are Vegan Jamaican Sweet Potato Pudding, Jamaican Spice Bun, and Vegan Cassava Pone.
Despite the fame, it is a humble dessert that serves perfectly well as a snack as well. It is easy to make, tasteful, healthy, and very satisfying; here is everything you need to know about this dessert!
What Is A Gizzada?
Gizzada, also known as pinch-me-round, is a delicious Jamaican dessert. It is actually a shell pastry that is filled with a coconut filling. The best thing about this dessert is that it is vegan-friendly. Also, by choosing gluten-free ingredients, you can turn it into a gluten-free dessert.
History of gizzada
The thing about this dessert is that although it is Jamaican, you will find desserts that are similar to thins in other cuisines as well. For instance, “queijada” is a name this coconut-filled shell pastry is given in Portugal.
Furthermore, you will find a dessert almost similar to this one in the Haitians and Trinidadian cuisine. So, it is safe to say that this dessert has a Portuguese origin and as people traveled to the Jamaican land, the dessert became popular and was entirely adopted by the Jamaicans.
As people continued to travel to different lands, the dessert went with them, and it was adopted by the locals and soon became a prominent part of their cuisine. No wonder it was well-received by the local people everywhere. It is truly delicious.
Components Of A Gluten-Free Vegan Gizzada
From the look of it, you will see that Gizzada is made from two main components. These are:
- The base: now, the base of this dessert is a shell pastry. It is made from gluten-free ingredients and has a crispy and flaky texture. The pastry is shaped like a start, and because of its unique shape, it gets the name pinch-me-round.
- The filling: the filling sets the tone for the dessert; it adds all the flavors that make this dessert unique. The filling is made from coconut and is soft, sweet, and chewy. The combination of flaky pastry and the sweet chewy filling is a match made in heaven.
How To Make A Coconut Gizzada?
Making Gluten-Free Vegan Gizzada might seem like a laborsome process, but it is actually quite fun. Especially when you enjoy baking and have a way of handling pastry, you will really enjoy the process. Here is a detailed step-by-step guide to making delicious Gizzada.
Step 1: First of all, you will have to start by making the pastry. For this, you will have to add all the dry ingredients to a large bowl. Next, add in small pieces of cold vegan butter. Mix the ingredients well so that the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
Step 2: Next, you have to add in cold water, about ½ cup. Using either fork or your hands, mix the ingredients well until it forms a dough. Cover the bowl with cling film and place it in the refrigerator for about 3 minutes.
Step 3: In the meanwhile, add all the filling ingredients to another bowl. Mix well and let it sit for about 20 minutes until the sugar dissolves completely. Don’t forget to keep stirring in between.
Step 4: Once 30 minutes have passed, take the dough out of the refrigerator and knead it. Place it on a floured working station and roll it into a ¼ inch thick sheet using a rolling pin.
5: with the help of a cookie cutter, cut circles of the dough.
6: Using your hands and thumb, push the dough from the center towards its edges and pinch from the sides to form a star shape.
7: Place the pastry on a parchment-lined baking tray and place it in a pre-heated oven for 5 minutes at 350-degree F.
8: Remove the tray from the oven and scoop in a tablespoon of coconut filling. Place the tray back in the oven for 20 minutes.
9: Once the pastry gets golden brown color, remove the tray from the oven and let the pastries cool down.
Tips And Tricks For Perfect Gluten-Free Vegan Gizzada
Here are a few tips and tricks to make perfect Gizzada:
- To make a gluten-free version, make sure you use gluten-free all-purpose flour. You can easily find it from the gluten-free section of the grocery store.
- Make sure the vegan butter is cold. It will give the pastry a flaky texture.
- Before you add vegan butter, don’t forget to cut it into small pieces. This way, it will be easy to mix the dry ingredients.
- If you don’t have dried coconut, you can also use store-bought coconut flakes.
- Make sure you let the filling mixture sit for about 20 minutes so that the organic sugar dissolves naturally.
- As you pinch the pastry shell bottom with a fork, you allow the air to pass through it, helping it to cook well.
- When storing these, don’t forget to wrap them individually in plastic wrapping.
How To Store Coconut Gizzada?
The best thing about these pastries is that you can store them for later use. All you have to do is place them in an air-tight container or jar, and they are good to go for about 5 days.
However, when storing these gizzadas, you must wrap them in high-quality plastic wrap individually like a toffee. Otherwise, they will get soggy. This way, they will stay fresh for up to a week. Because of the way you store these, Gizzada is a perfect treat and is a perfect gift for every occasion.
Try this delicious Jamaican dessert at home and indulge in the unique flavor and texture of this dish. Serve it on your next friend and family get-together and impress your friends and family with your culinary skills.
Other Jamaican Desserts
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends to Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Energy: 140 kcal / 585 kJ
- Fat: 6.6 g
- Protein: 2.1 g
- Carbs: 19 g
- Preparation: 1 h 30 min
- Cooking: 30 min
- Ready in: 4 h
- For: 12 Servings
For The Crust
- 1 1/2 cup Gluten-Free all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cassava flour
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup Vegan Butter, cold
- 1/2 cup water
For The Filling
For Making The Crust
- In a large bowl, add all-purpose flour, baking powder, cassava flour, and pink Himalayan salt and mix well.
- Dice the cold vegan butter into small pieces and add in the bowl with dry ingredients. Mix well until everything is well combined. At this point, the mixture should look like breadcrumbs.
- Pour in half a cup of water at room temperature. Start combining the ingredients gently using a fork.
- Once the dough starts to form, use hands to knead the dough and give it a shape.
- Cover the dough with cling film and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
For Making The Filling
- In a bowl, add grated coconut, organic cane sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon powder, salt, and water and mix well.
- Let it sit for about 30 minutes until the sugar is dissolved. Also, stir in between.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator
- Shift the dough onto a floured fork station and, with the help of a rolling pin, roll the dough so that it is ¼ inches thick.
- With the help of a cookie cutter, cut circles.
- Discard the remaining dough and pinch the circles from every side to form a star-like shape in such a way that the sides for a small wall to hold the filling inside.
- Prick the base using a fork.
- Place the pastry dough on a parchment-lined baking tray and place the baking tray in a pre-heated oven at 350-degree F for 5 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven and fill in a tablespoon of coconut filling.
- Once all cups are filled, place the baking tray back into the oven and bake for about 20 minutes until the crust gets a nice golden-brown color.
- Remove the tray from the oven and let the pastry cool down. Enjoy!
- Try this delicious Jamaican dessert at home and indulge in the unique flavor and texture of this dish. Serve it on your next friend and family get-together and impress your friends and family with your culinary skills.