Jamaican Peanut Drops
Although most people tend to rely on store-bought or premade snacks, well, honestly, where is the fun in that? Besides, if you are a health enthusiast, you will know that store-bought snacks can never reach the level of homemade snacks.
When it comes to snacks, people’s preference is divided. Where some love saltish snacks, others crave sweets. Where saltish snacks can be healthier, you can’t say the same for sweet snacks because of their sugar content. But don’t get disappointed! If you get strong sugar cravings, as I do, you don’t need to worry about it at all. I have just the perfect sweet snack recipe for you!
If you are into Jamaican cuisine, you will know that they use healthy and vegan ingredients a lot. So that’s a plus for us! Besides, they also have a lot of snack recipes that are super simple to make and are very delicious and satisfying. One such recipe is the peanut drops.
I have already shared the Tamarind Balls and Coconut Drops recipe with you, and the peanut drops fall in the same category. These are very much like peanut brittles, so you can carry them anywhere and nibble on them. These are yummy. Above all, they fit your vegan food definition just on the spot, you can reduce the amount of sweetener.
What Is Peanut Drop?
Peanut drop is a delicious sweet Jamaican snack. It is made with peanuts and turbinado sugar. These drops resemble peanut brittle a lot and are delicious and chewy. You can call peanut drops a distinct cousin of coconut drops. The procedure is almost similar.
Health Benefits Of Peanuts
Peanuts are not just tasteful for a snack; they are also super healthy. If you are someone, who is not allergic to peanuts, consider yourself lucky as you can enjoy the many benefits of this food. In case you are wondering what health benefits does this food has, here are a few you should know about:
- Peanuts are super high in protein. This high protein content is actually responsible for causing allergies in some people. However, if you are looking for plant-based protein, peanuts won’t disappoint you at all.
- Another amazing fact about peanuts is that it is very low in carbohydrates. As a result, it has a low glycemic index, making it a perfect food for people who have diabetes (substitute with coconut sugar when making peanut drops).
- Peanuts are super rich in minerals. In fact, because of their mineral profile, you can call it a superfood. Peanut has a high content of minerals like copper, manganese, folate, magnesium, and phosphorus.
- Furthermore, it is also rich in vitamins like vitamin B1, B3, B9, and vitamin E.
- Peanuts have minerals that help in protecting the heart against several diseases like high blood pressure and strokes.
- Since it is high in folate, it is an essential food during pregnancy and supports the healthy development of the fetus.
- Moreover, peanuts are also rich in several plant-based compounds or anti-oxidants. Most of these antioxidants are found in the dark brown skin of peanuts. These anti-oxidants maintain the healthy functioning of the body and protect it against several diseases like cancer, etc.
- Lastly, it is also rich in dietary fiber. Therefore, peanuts are also associated with weight loss and weight management. It makes you feel full for longer and also helps in burning fat.
This recipe is super easy to make. All the ingredients are easy to find and basic. You won’t have to make an effort to search for them. Here is everything you need for making Jamaican peanut drops:
- Peanuts: Peanuts are very easy to come by. They are readily available at every grocery store. However, most of the time, they are available in roasted form. Although they are very delicious and crunchy, for this recipe, we will need raw peanuts. Raw peanuts look exactly like the roasted ones, but they are lighter in color. You can easily get them from any grocery store.
- Sugar: For this recipe, I have used organic cane sugar. It is not as sweet as refined white sugar. Furthermore, it is free from any preservatives and refining. It is quite healthy.
- Ginger: Ginger is not only known for its medicinal properties but also adds a sweet and slightly peppery flavor to the peanut drops. It is quite refreshing as well.
- Cinnamon: I love the woody, citrusy and sweet flavor of cinnamon. It gives the peanut drops a punch of flavor.
- Vanilla: Nothing can bring in a depth of flavor like vanilla extract!
How To Make A Peanut Drop?
Making peanut drop is a piece of cake! Seriously. It is very easy and straightforward to make, and you can make it in large batches and give it to your loved ones as a gift. Here are a few easy steps you have to follow:
Step 1: Firstly, in a saucepan, add water, raw peanuts, and organic cane sugar. Place the saucepan on high heat and wait until it starts to boil.
2: Once it is boiling for 5 minutes, add ginger, cinnamon, and vanilla extracts.
3: Continue to boil the mixture on high heat for 30 minutes.
4: Once the mixture starts to thicken up and about 3/4th water is evaporated, reduce the heat and continue to simmer the mixture for ten more minutes. Continue to stir after regular intervals.
5: Once the mixture is thick enough, pout it in a greased tray using tablespoons and form the shape of a drop.
6: Let s cool down. Store in an airtight jar.
Tips And Tricks For Perfect Peanut Drops
Although making peanut drops is super easy, you should keep a few things in mind:
- Make sure to mix the mixture after regular intervals.
- Also, don’t forget to scrapes the sides; otherwise, the mixture will develop crystals.
- If you would like to use coconut sugar instead you can use that as well. However, keep in mind that the flavor with being stronger, and the color will be darker as well.
- If you don’t prefer the flavor of cinnamon or vanilla extract, you can skip the ingredient as well.
- If you don’t have parchment paper, you can grease the baking tray with coconut oil and then place the peanut drop mixture on it as well.
- You can test the mixture’s consistency before switching off the flame. It should be syrupy, sticky, and thick enough to form a thread.
- I prefer to peel most of the peanuts before using them; however, you can keep the thin brown layer if you like.
- You can try this recipe for different nuts like almonds, pistachio, and walnuts as well.
How To Store Peanut Drops?
You can store peanut drops just the way you store peanut brittle, i.e., in a jar. Let these cool down completely, and then place them in an airtight jar. Place the jar in a cool, dry place, and it is good to go for days. However, I am pretty sure you won’t be able to keep your hands off it for longer, and you will have to keep making it again and again.
If you try the recipe, share your experience in the comment box. Join our Facebook groups for more interesting and delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes.
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends to Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Energy: 267 kcal / 1116 kJ
- Fat: 12 g
- Protein: 6.3 g
- Carbs: 31 g
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 45 min
- Ready in: 55 min
- For: 6 Servings
- In a saucepan, add raw peanuts, organic cane sugar, Himalayan salt, and water.
- Place the saucepan on high heat and bring it to a boil. Stir occasionally so that the sugar dissolves completely.
- Boil the mixture for 5 minutes on high heat.
- Once the mixture starts to boil, add ginger, vanilla extracts, and ground cinnamon.
- Let the mixture simmer for 30 minutes. Make sure to stick the mixture occasionally.
- Once the mixture gets thick, and about 3/4th of the water is evaporated, reduce the heat to medium and continue to stir until the mixture thickens up and the peanuts are covered in caramelized sugar.
- Once you achieve this consistency, remove the pan from heat and place about 3 to 4 tablespoons of mixture on a parchment-lined baking tray.
- Let these drops cool down at room temperature.