This delicious Mexican Breakfast Quinoa Bowl is full of flavor and very nourishing. Quinoa and tofu cooked with Mexican flavors, topped with creamy avocado, corn, and tomatoes.
I wanted to make a quinoa dish that was perfect for breakfast or brunch, one that was hearty and easy to prepare. I decided to include my Mexican-Style Scrambled Tofu Breakfast Recipe.
The combination was a great success, I also prepared the quinoa Mexican-style for extra flavor. I topped the quinoa/tofu with tomatoes, avocado, corn, jalapeno slices and cilantro for an authentic Mexican flavor.
I have have been making a lot of Mexican inspired dishes lately, not only because of their delicious flavors but because we are planning a trip to Mexico. I have to brush up on my Spanish in the coming months. I was so crazy about Spanish and French classes in high school that I took them in final exams. I had the blessing of visiting Paris twice to see my friend Danielle Azede, when I was in college but unfortunately I lost contact with her since relocating from New Jersey 13 years ago.
I am so excited for this opportunity to visit Mexico to learn more about the people, culture, and food. Some of my other Mexican inspired dishes are, Easy Black Bean Enchiladas, Black Bean Burritos, Vegan One Pot Taco Spaghetti and my Black Bean Salad with Creamy Cilantro Dressing.
I am so excited to start a new facebook group, sharing lots of delicious vegan recipes, health tips etc. from our members, please join us at Vegan Recipes With Love! If you tried this recipe, please comment below and let us know how you like it. Also, please follow us on Instagram!
For: 4 servings
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Scrambled Tofu Breakfast Recipe, (click link for recipe)
- Additional Toppings
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halves
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 cup corn kernels
- jalapeno slices, lime slices and chopped cilantro (for garnish)
- Heat oil in a small pot over medium-high heat, add onion and garlic and cook until soft, about 3 minutes stirring constantly. Add tomato sauce, cumin, water, and salt.
- Bring to boil, cover pot and reduce to simmer for 15-20 minutes.Turn off heat and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Stir in cilantro and fluff with a fork. While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the tofu.
- To serve divide quinoa into 4 bowls, top with scrambled tofu, cherry tomatoes, avocado, and corn. Garnish with jalapeno slices, lime slice and cilantro. Serve immediately!