If you have never had a tofu scramble, then this Southwest Tofu Scramble is the best recipe for a beginner. It is incredibly flavorful, unlike most bland tofu recipes online. Perfect recipe for breakfast or brunch, serve with tortilla and guacamole as a breakfast wrap.
Scrambled Tofu Breakfast Recipe – Mexican Style
This life-changing scrambled tofu breakfast recipe – Mexican Style gets a thumbs up every time I make it. I recently realized that I haven’t shared any of my scrambled tofu recipes here on my website.
I’m so happy now, that I have since made Easy Scrambled Tofu If my memory serves me right, there are recipes for scrambled tofu and one for scrambled chickpea tofu in my Healthier Steps Cookbook.
Well, I wanted one that was not only unique but one that was very delicious and mind-blowing. I experimented quite a lot in creating this recipe and my family is very pleased with the results every time I served it. For an easy traditional scrambled tofu recipe, check out my Easy Tofu Scramble.
The first two times, I added about 5 tortilla chips broken into pieces but this time I decide to serve it with skillet potatoes and avocado. They were hearty and delicious and this recipe is a definite winner!
How To Make Tofu Scramble
This dish is awesome to serve for a special breakfast or brunch.
I cooked the tofu with garlic, tomatoes, bell pepper, with an aromatic herb and spice blend.
If only you could just smell the aroma of my kitchen, it was so fragrant, warm and inviting!
While the tofu is cooking, I peeled the potatoes and cut them into thin slices. I then cooked these slices on medium-high heat in a non-stick skillet with coconut oil and Bragg’s Liquid Aminos until they were tender.
I added my own Mexican-style seasoning, although you can substitute store-bought taco seasoning make sure you check the label that it’s gluten-free.
Can You Freeze Tofu Scramble?
Yes, you can freeze the tofu before you cook it, however, the texture will be denser and chewier. Freezing tofu also is a great way to make tofu last longer. You can buy your tofu in bulk, freeze them and when you are ready to use, defrost.
Check Out Other Tofu Inspired Dishes:
- Vegan Tofu Meatballs
- Tofu Steak With Chimichurri Sauce
- Southwestern Tofu Salad
- Zucchini Bell Pepper Tofu Quiche
- Spinach Tofu Salad
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Energy: 213 kcal / 890 kJ
- Fat: 10 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Carbs: 30 g
- Preparation: 10 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- Ready in: 30 min
- For: 4 servings
- 8 oz tofu, rinse and drained
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved (or grape tomatoes)
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced (or 1/2 cup tomato sauce plus 1 tablespoon tomato paste)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes, (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 2 green onions, cut into slices
- 1/2 avocado, cut into slices
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 5 Tortilla chips, broken into pieces
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high, add onion and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic and bell pepper and cook for a minute.
- Stir in cherry tomatoes and cook for about 3 minutes stirring. Add diced tomatoes, paprika, cumin, turmeric, oregano, yeast flakes, cayenne pepper, salt and cook for about 1 minute.
- In the meantime, crumble tofu with a fork and add to tomato mixture stirring to fully coat.
- Cover and allow to cook for about 5-7 minutes. Stir in tortilla chips, green onions, and cilantro.
- Remove from heat and serve.
To Cook Potato
- Scrub potato, peel and cut into thin slices, add to a bowl and toss with Bragg's liquid aminos. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add potato slices and cook on both sides until tender.