Amazing Teriyaki Tofu recipe made with simple ingredients, pieces of tofu marinated and baked to perfection, then smothered in a flavorful sauce, delicious served with brown rice and broccoli.
This Teriyaki Tofu recipe is easy to prepare but tastes like something you would get from a Chinese restaurant, without all the MSG and other additives. I love how the marinade bakes on into a wonderfully crispy crust. Make a Japanese meal night and serve my Vegan Sushi as well.
This is an update of the recipe that I first published August 4, 2012. I wanted to take new photos and as I remade it I marveled at the ingredients and wondered why I chose to use the ingredients and process in making it. It is one of my best recipes and I have had much great feedbacks over the years and I understand why as I prepare it and took my first bite. Perfect texture, taste like it was fried instead of baked.
Few things that I did, I used about 1/4 cup fresh pineapple blended with water because I was out of juice. I added 2 tablespoons of coconut sugar for a darker color. It tasted amazing.
- 112 kcal / 468 kJ
- 2 g
- 5 g
- 20 g
- 1 package x-firm or super-firm tofu , drained and pressed
- 2 tablespoons brown rice flour
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 2 tablespoons Bragg's liquid aminos
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chicken style seasoning , or vegetable bouillon
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice , or 1/2 cup fresh pineapple
- 1/4 cup Bragg liquid aminos
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar , (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted sesame oil
- 1 clove garlic , minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- spring onion , chopped for garnish
- sesame seeds , for garnish
- 10 min
- 30 min
- Ready in:
- 40 min
- Whisk marinade ingredients and set aside. Drain and press tofu to release extra water. Cut tofu into squares or triangles and spread marinade on. Careful, tofu is a bit delicate! Leave to marinate for 30 minutes at least, but feel free to let it stay longer, even overnight in the refrigerator will work.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Slightly oil or line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay tofu slices in a single layer on baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, turning tofu slices after 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place all sauce ingredients including pineapple in a high speed blender and process until smooth. Transfer sauce to a large saucepan or skillet on medium heat and bring to a boil stirring with a whisk until thicken. Add tofu to sauce and gently stir to coat. Garnish with spring onion and sesame seeds. Delicious served with brown jasmine rice.