My love for quiche goes way back to my college days in England. I would have a slice of tomato and cheese quiche for breakfast which I loved.
After becoming vegan, I wanted to make one similar to traditional quiche. I have been tweaking this Zucchini Bell Pepper Tofu Quiche for a while now and I believe this is so far my best vegan tofu quiche. Using tofu in the filling produces one of the best egg substitutes similar to scrambled tofu.
Tofu is high in protein and beneficial nutrients. I plan to share with you my ackee quiche recipe soon. You can substitute your favorite pie crust recipe but this one is awesome,
For the fluted crust look, you can use one of these Quiche Baking Dishes.
How To Make Easy Vegan Quiche
Make crust and roll out using a rolling pin. Line a pie plate or quiche with crust and cover with plastic and place in the refrigerator.
Saute veggies and set aside in a bowl.
Blend tofu filling ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth and creamy. Add extra vegetable broth as needed.
Mix filling with veggies and scoop into pie plate. Bake for 40 minutes in a preheated oven at 375 degrees.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free, flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup non-dairy butter
- 1/4 cup ice cold water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
For The Crust
- Preheat oven 375 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in non-dairy butter until mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Add water and mix until the dough comes together into a ball. You might need more or less water so add 1 tablespoon at a time!
- Roll out dough in between two parchment paper. Remove the top layer of parchment paper. Invert your quiche pan or pie dish, over the exposed dough. Carefully flip the quiche pan or pie plate with the dough on top. Remove excess dough and place crust into the refrigerator.
To Prepare The Vegetables
- To prepare veggies, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add onion, garlic, green onions and saute until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add zucchini, bell pepper, Italian seasoning, and cook until vegetables are slightly tender about 5 minutes. Set aside in a large bowl to cool slightly.
For The Filling
- In a blender or food processor, add cashews, water, nutritional yeast flakes, tapioca starch, onion powder, garlic powder, turmeric and salt. Blend until smooth and creamy. Break tofu into pieces and add, blend or pulse until smooth.
- Pour filling into the bowl of veggies and mix well. Remove quiche crust from refrigerator and add filling. Smooth top and bake uncovered in oven for 40 minutes or until firm to touch. Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes. Enjoy!