This flavorful VEGAN SWEET POTATO PIE recipe tastes just like the classic Southern sweet potato pie without dairy or gluten. This amazing recipe is so easy to make using a store-bought crust or my gluten-free vegan pie crust.
Making your own pie is such a piece of cake, with the right ingredients you can prepare this mouthwatering pie.
I bought a large bag of sweet potatoes from the wholesale club and I have been in the mood lately to prepare a variety of recipes with them.
I decided to take on the challenge of making my own pie crust, which was not difficult the first try at all. I have since made this recipe twice and both times the crust turned great.
Note updated 11/21/2018: I tested the recipe with coconut cream. If you try another milk, like cashew milk, almond milk, rice milk.
Your pie might not end up firm enough. My suggestion would be to increase the cornstarch to 4 tablespoons. I will have to try this before the Christmas holidays though. Happy Thanksgiving!
How To Make Vegan Sweet Potato Pie
To make the pie crust, I used Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
I used Earth Balance Buttery Spread for a buttery crust. I made the dough, then rolled the dough in between parchment papers.
I also covered the edges with foil paper to prevent them from getting burned and then removed the foil paper for the final 20 minutes to allow the edges to bake with a lovely golden crust. How To Make Gluten-Free Vegan Pie Crust.
To make the filling, my goal was to achieve the same kind of taste as my JAMAICAN SWEET POTATO PUDDING recipe.
I baked two medium-sized sweet potatoes, peeled and transferred them to a food processor along with the rest of the ingredients and process until smooth.
I used coconut cream instead of coconut milk for rich flavor, which goes lovely with ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg. By the way, you can substitute coconut milk instead.
One spice blend to use instead of cinnamon and nutmeg is cardamom and coriander.
Other Vegan Pies To Try
- 372 kcal / 1555 kJ
- 19 g
- 3 g
- 47 g
- 20 min
- 2 h 39 min
- Ready in:
- 2 h 59 min
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose gluten-free flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup non-dairy butter
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Preheat oven 400 F. Wash and dry sweet potatoes, pierce with a fork and bake on a cookie sheet for 1 hour or until tender. Allow sweet potatoes to cool. Meanwhile, prepare the crust and filling.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, and salt. Cut in non-dairy butter until mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Add water and mix until the dough comes together into a ball. You might need more or less water so add 1 tablespoon at a time!
- Grease a 9-inch pie plate, roll out dough in between two parchment paper. Remove the top layer of parchment paper. Invert your pie pan, over the exposed dough.Carefully flip the pie pan with the dough on top.
- Carefully press dough into the bottom and sides of the pie plate. Crimp edges and prick the bottom of the crust with a fork and place in refrigerator until ready
- Peel sweet potatoes and transfer flesh to a food processor, add coconut cream, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt. Process until smooth.
- Pour filling into pie plate, cover the crimp edges with foil paper or parchment paper covered with foil paper and bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 40 minutes removing foil paper or parchment covered with foil after 20 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool to firm up before slicing. Serve topped with coconut whipped cream.