Vegan Cheesy Broccoli Soup recipe is flavorful, creamy and comforting. It is packed with lots of fiber and nutrients from broccoli and sweet potatoes!
My daughter's first official job was at Panera Bread in Ohio, she enjoyed working there while attending college. So I asked her what was one of the customer's favorite soup and she said, their broccoli cheddar soup was definitely a hit!
Personally, I never had theirs but I loved broccoli cheese soup so much as a student in England that I have been making and enjoying vegan versions for many years but somehow I never shared a recipe on here.
Today as I was scouting through my refrigerator wondering what to prepare. I decided to make a dish with broccoli, so this is how this version of my Vegan Cheesy Broccoli Soup was created. I used sweet potatoes for the beautiful cheesy color and it also added to the creamy texture along with cashews.
You won't miss the cheese nor milk of the conventional recipe. This is way better for your heart. It is easy to prepare and the results are flavorful. You can use fresh or frozen broccoli to make this soup and you can garnish it with Coconut Bacon.
For more recipe idea check out my:
- Broccoli Cheese Baked Potatoes
- Vegan Broccoli And Rice Casserole
- Gluten-Free Vegan Cauliflower Casserole
- 252 kcal / 1053 kJ
- 13 g
- 13 g
- 24 g
- 4 cups broccoli florets , chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil , or 1/4 cup vegetable broth for sauteing
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup raw cashews , soaked for 1 hour
- 1/2 cup cooked sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon onion , chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 15 min
- 1 h 11 min
- Ready in:
- 1 h 26 min
- Heat a large saucepan with oil or water over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add broccoli florets stir to coat, add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer for 5 minutes until broccoli is tender. Meanwhile, prepare the cheesy sauce.
- Place cashews and water in blender and process until smooth. Add sweet potatoes, yeast flakes onion, garlic, salt and pepper and continue processing until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer cheese sauce into a bowl and set aside. Take half the broccoli soup and pulse in a blender (I prefer it to be chunky).
- Return the blended soup to the saucepan along with the cheesy sauce and cook stirring until thickened. Enjoy on its own or baked potato, or bread.