This fall, don’t forget to make this delicious, gluten-free, dairy-free, and comforting Vegan Sweet Potato mac and cheese. This recipe is a must-try whether you are dairy intolerant or simply want to add more plant-based foods to your diet. In addition, this kid-friendly and picky eater-approved dish are ideal for the whole family.
First Published Oct 2018
The fall season is finally here. During the fall, sweet potatoes are a go-to vegetable for many different recipes. They’re delicious sautéed, boiled, mashed, or baked. Check out these other Vegan Sweet Potato Recipes.
If you are looking for an irresistible savory, impressively cheesy, creamy, oil-free, nut-free, and gluten-free recipe of sweet potato that can satisfy your insatiable craving for something comforting on a chilly weeknight, then this recipe is especially for you! This delicious vegan sweet potato mac and cheese recipe will satisfy all of your craving requirements. I’m giddy with excitement to share this ultimate recipe with you!
Whether you’re a vegan or not, you’re will surely be going to add this recipe to your wish list!
It’s incredibly easy to make and packed with flavors! The base for this recipe is cashews, sweet potatoes, tahini, and nutritional yeast! Cashews lend the perfect creamy texture to the cheese sauce, while sweet potatoes impart a natural orange hue and tahini impart a nutty flavor. Additionally, the nutritional yeast transforms the sweet potato into something cheesy and delectable!
The best part is that you will get a delicious pasta bowl which is healthy too!
Are Vegan Sweet Potato Mac And Cheese Healthy?
A big Yes! As I have already discussed above, this recipe’s base is sweet potatoes, cashews, tahini, and nutritional yeast! All of which are highly nutritious and healthy.
As we all know- they are high in fiber, vitamin C, potassium, and beta carotene. Fiber is beneficial for gut health and helps regulate bowel movements. They also help to keep the digestive system healthy by preventing and treating constipation.
Highly absorbable beta-carotene found in sweet potatoes can be converted into vitamin A by your body. Therefore, eating sweet potatoes is a great way to prevent vitamin A deficiency. Beta-carotene also supports your vision, immune system, and gut health.
They’re also a good source of plant protein and fiber; they’re low in sugar and rich in heart-healthy fats. Additionally, they are high in copper, magnesium, and manganese, which are necessary for brain health, immunity, bone health, and energy production.
Because of their high levels of carotenoids and polyphenolic antioxidants, cashews may help to reduce inflammation while also protecting against disease.
Tahini is a sesame seed paste made from toasted ground sesame seeds, high in vitamins and minerals. Additionally, it is high in anti-inflammatory monounsaturated fats. It is packed with antioxidants, including the sesamin lignan. Sesame seeds have been shown to lower the risk of type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
Nutritional yeast has a cheesy, nutty, or savory flavor. It is a vegan source of protein, B vitamins, and trace minerals necessary for optimal health.
It contains a high amount of vitamin B12, which helps prevent vitamin B12 deficiency in vegans. In addition, glutathione and selenomethionine, two antioxidants found in nutritional yeast, may help protect your body from oxidative stress-induced chronic diseases.
When all these healthy ingredients combine, there’s no doubt left that it will make a nutritious and healthy meal.
Vegan Sweet Potato Mac and Cheese Recipe
This recipe requires the following ingredients, some of which you will possibly have in your kitchen, and has a few different steps, but they all overlap, so it will only take about 30 minutes to put it all together. Then, a delicious, simple, and plant-based dinner will be ready to enjoy!
- Sweet potato – choose sweet potatoes that are firm without bruising.
- Non-dairy milk – use any unsweetened non-dairy milk, I used coconut milk
- Cashew – use raw cashews that are usually sold at the health food stores, major grocery stores, and online.
- Nutritional yeast flakes – adds a cheesy flavor to your mac and cheese but you can leave it out.
- Garlic – I used fresh garlic, however, 1 teaspoon garlic powder is great.
- Tahini paste – helps to give a cheesy flavor and creamy texture.
- Lemon juice – adds a sharp flavor to your vegan cheese sauce.
- Salt – boosts the flavor, I used sea salt.
- Pasta – any pasta will do, I used gluten-free pasta.
- In a medium pot, boil sweet potato chunks until fork-tender, about 10 minutes.
- Boil pasta according to package directions in a large pot until al dente, drain, and return to the pot.
- Drain sweet potato chunks, add to a high-speed blender with almond milk, cashews, yeast flakes, garlic, onion powder, tahini, lemon juice, and salt. Process until smooth and creamy. The cheese sauce is ready.
- Pour cheese sauce over pasta and stir until fully coated. If needed, you can heat pasta while stirring.
- Garnish with chili flakes and chopped chives or parsley, and enjoy!
While the recipe as written is excellent (I admit I’m biased), baking it will improve it even further.
To do so, transfer the well-combined pasta and cheese sauce to a casserole dish, sprinkle some paprika, and bake uncovered for about 15 minutes, or until the top begins to bubble and turn golden brown.
Due to this recipe’s high fiber and protein content, it can be served as-is for a simplified meal. You can serve it with any meat. Additionally, you can serve it with roasted broccoli or a side salad for an extra dose of greens!
You can serve it with sautéed vegan sausage, Brussels sprouts, peas, or any other vegetable of your choice! Indeed in any way you serve it, it satisfies the craving for cheesy goodness.
How To Store and Reheat?
You can refrigerate the leftover of this vegan mac and cheese in an airtight container for approximately 3-5 days. However, let it cool completely before transferring to an airtight container for the best results.
Simply reheat on the stovetop and add some non-dairy milk to make it creamy again when you want to eat.
You can also reheat it in the microwave, but make sure to add a splash of non-dairy milk and cover the pasta with a paper towel to keep it from drying out.
Possible Recipe Variations
- If you don’t have any sweet potatoes on hand, you can substitute them with an equal amount of diced pumpkin or butternut squash.
- For a bright pop of green, you can add extra veggies in the cheese sauce like peas, spinach, or steamed broccoli.
If you give it a try, let me know what you think in the comments section below
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END.
Sweet Potato Mac And Cheese is delicious served with
For More Sweet Potato recipes, check out our Sweet Potato Souffle, Sweet Potato Pie, Sweet Potato Pudding, Sweet Potato Broccoli Salad, and Maple Roasted Brussels Sprouts With Sweet Potatoes.
Are You Looking For Support?
Join our new Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Energy: 390 kcal / 1630 kJ
- Fat: 9 g
- Protein: 17 g
- Carbs: 59 g
- Preparation: 20 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- Ready in: 40 min
- For: 4 Servings
- 1 cup sweet potato, peeled, cut into chunks
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/3 cup cashew, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion powder
- 1 tablespoon raw tahini paste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces dry elbow macaroni, or pasta of choice
- In a medium pot, boil sweet potato chunks until fork-tender, about 10 minutes. Boil pasta according to package directions in a large pot of water with 1 teaspoon of salt added until al dente, drain, and return to the pot.
- Drain sweet potato chunks, add to a high-speed blender with almond milk, cashews, yeast flakes, garlic, onion powder, tahini, lemon juice, and salt. Process until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Pour cheese sauce over pasta and stir until fully coated. If needed you can heat pasta while stirring.
- You can also transfer pasta to a greased casserole pan and bake in an oven preheated at 400 degrees F. for 15-20 minutes.