This roasted sweet potato broccoli salad is a very simple salad that can be prepared as a side dish or even as a main It can also be the perfect addition to your holiday table and it will go well with my Sweet Potato Souffle recipe. Its nutrient-packed, full of vitamins and minerals. I added pumpkin seeds but you can substitute with other seeds or nuts of choice.
Some other additions:
- Sunflower seeds
- Black bean
- Corn kernels
I was inspired to make a cilantro Tahini dressing after purchasing Trader Joes Green Tahini Dip, it had a lovely clean herbaceous taste. I didn't have any fresh mint nor dill so mine is only an inspiration and not a copycat recipe.
I still can't believe how hot it is during summer time here in Florida. This year was the first year that I didn't grow my own cilantro and dill. I planted several varieties of mint and they all died. I'm still in disbelief, mint is very hardy and usually grows in the toughest growing conditions.
The soil here is sandy and I'm amazed how much water is needed for the plants to grow. I started off very good, keeping on my schedule of watering early mornings but, as the weather got hotter, I retreated into my air-conditioned home and spent less time in my garden. I ended up neglecting my herbs and most of them died. I literally had 3 sprinklers running in my garden but unfortunately, my herb garden hardly got the sprinkler. My herb garden was located around a tree, so it was difficult to use the sprinkler. Well, now I know better!
Next year I plan to grow my herbs in pots and keep them in the carport instead, where I can keep a closer eye on them. I had to go to the library and read books about how to grow plants in Florida, LOL.
These are some of the things I learn:
- Become familiar with your plant hardiness zone, Florida is large and it stretches through different climate zones.
- Join a garden club and talk to seasoned growers - I joined the Grow Gainesville Facebook group
- Get the University of Florida Gardening Calendar which gives a monthly planting guide based on the climate zone you are in Florida
- 247 kcal / 1032 kJ
- 16 g
- 7 g
- 24 g
- 10 min
- 20 min
- Ready in:
- 30 min
Roasted Sweet Potato And Broccoli
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed, about 2 cups
- 2 cups broccoli florets, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- sea salt, to taste
- Preheat oven 400 F. Line baking tray with greased parchment paper.
- Toss sweet potatoes, broccoli, olive oil, garlic and salt in a large bowl,
- Transfer sweet potato and broccoli mix on baking tray and bake for 20 minutes, turning halfway.
- In the meanwhile make cilantro tahini dressing.
- Place tahini paste, water, lemon juice and remaining ingredients in a high-speed blender.
- Process until smooth and creamy.
- In a large bowl, place sweet potato broccoli. Drizzle with cilantro tahini dressing and serve!