On days that I’m busy, I love to make this delicious dish, since it usually takes me around 30 minutes to prepare.
Vegan Chickpea Curry (Jamaican-Style) Ingredients
This Vegan Chickpea Curry Recipe is basically made Jamaican-Style using ingredients like thyme, allspice thyme, and Scotch bonnet pepper. I used the herbs and flavors that remind me of my childhood. Here are some Jamaican curry powder brands you can try out,
Homemade Curry Powder Recipe
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
Add the above ingredients in place of store-bought curry powder.
Jamaican History Of Curry
Curry dishes are an important part of Jamaican cuisine and culture. Indians brought their cuisine with them to Jamaica over 170 years ago.
It started when over 36, 000 indentured workers arrived in Jamaica between 1845 and 1911 to work on sugar plantations, after the abolition of slavery. Naturally, they brought their traditions with them including their cuisine.
Many of the dishes have been modified based on the local herbs, spices that were used. For instance, thyme is the herb of choice used more often than cilantro. Coconut milk is added instead of yogurt to add a creaminess.
Vegan Chickpea Curry Health Benefits
Chickpeas are healthy for you because they contain lots of protein, fiber, and manganese, along with antioxidants that help with weight loss and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. I like to use turmeric because of its health benefits also.
Studies have shown that turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties, is a natural painkiller, slows the progression of cancer, aids in weight management, and has great healing properties. Cardamom, coriander, and cumin detoxify the body, and aids in digestion. Read more health benefits here.
Other Delicious Chickpea Recipes:
- Chickpea Stew
- Chickpea Noodle Soup
- Chickpea Shepherd's Pie
- Chickpea Taco
- Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Chickpea Salad Wraps
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- 253 kcal / 1058 kJ
- 8 g
- 11 g
- 34 g
- 15 min
- 20 min
- Ready in:
- 35 min
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, freshly grated
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, or 3 cups cooked
- 1 14 ounces can coconut milk, or 1 1/2 cups freshly squeezed or 1 1/2 cups veggie broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 allspice berries, (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper, or 1 whole Scotch Bonnet Pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium. Add onions and cook until soft, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, ginger, spring onion and cook for another minute.
- Add curry powder, paprika, and thyme. Cook stirring until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, carrot, chickpeas and stir to coat.
- Add coconut milk, water, allspice berries. Bring to boil and reduce to simmer for 10-15 minutes or until desired thickness is reached (I like to use the back of a fork and mash some of the chickpeas)
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Delicious served with quinoa, rice or gluten-free flat bread