Chickpea salad wrap is a delicious, quick, convenient, and vegan recipe that is super easy to make. It has a Middle Eastern touch to it and is super tasteful and refreshing. This wrap is filled with a humble, creamy chickpea salad. You can make it in no more than 10 minutes which makes it a favorite of many!
Wraps are versatile. They are perfect for breakfast and lunch, or you can enjoy them for a snack as well. Plus, these are quick and easy to make. You can literally add anything into a wrap filling, and it will work. However, if you are looking for a particular recipe that offers nutrients, flavor, and texture, this recipe is an amazing choice.
It is creamy, rich, and has clean and simple flavors. All the ingredients are vegan and, therefore, healthy. I don’t see any reason you wouldn’t want to try this recipe. Whether you are a lazy person or a busy one, you will love how quick and convenient this recipe is.
The best part is you can customize this recipe according to your liking. Add more vegetables and flavors to this recipe to make it a fancy one. Even when you want to give yourself a treat, you can turn to chickpea salad wraps. They will never disappoint you, that’s for sure!
Here is everything you will need to make these chickpea salad wraps:
- Tortillas: The main ingredient used for these vegan wraps is the tortilla. You can either use corn or flour tortilla for this recipe. I have used gluten-free and vegan tortillas. Make sure you use fresh tortillas for this recipe. However, you can also use day-old tortillas. I used my favorite gluten-free wraps from the La tortilla factory.
- Chickpeas: For ease and convenience, I have used canned chickpeas for this recipe. You can easily get them from any grocery store. Simply drain them, rinse them, and that’s all. Moreover, you can also use dried chickpeas and cook them at home as well. Whatever is convenient for you will work.
- Vegan mayonnaise: vegan mayonnaise is just as creamy and rich as regular non-vegan mayonnaise. It is made using plant-based ingredients, and you can easily get it from any grocery store. You can easily make it using soy milk, coconut oil, and lemon. Simply blend it until it is creamy.
- Sweet pickle relish: This ingredient adds tons of flavor to your wraps. It has a sweet and sour flavor, pretty much like candy sour. It adds a freshness and tanginess to your wrap. You can easily get premade sweet pickle relish from any grocery store. Or you can also make it at home. All you need is cucumber, sweet peppers, apple cider vinegar, and mustard seeds. I used PA’s pickle, but you can leave it out or use your favorite. My two favorite brands are PA’s Pickle Relish and Bubbies Kosher Dill Relish.
- Green onions: Adding green onions bring in a crunch and a savory flavor to this dish.
- Garlic: Garlic is crucial for a deep savory flavor. You can replace it with garlic powder as well.
- Celery: Celery’s salt-ish and slightly tangy flavor has a depth of its own. Plus, you also get a very satisfying crunch.
- Walnuts: Walnuts are packed with nutrients and add a very satisfying crunch to your wraps.
- Salt: Season the mixture with salt to balance out the flavors.
- Romaine lettuce: it adds a crunch and freshness to your wrap. Plus, not to forget the many benefits of lettuce.
- Tomato: Add fresh tomatoes for a more juicy and rich tomato flavor.
How to make Chickpea Salad Wraps?
Making chickpea salad wraps is probably the easiest wrap you can make. It takes no more than 10 minutes to get a wrap on your plate. So, if you are looking for a quick lunch recipe, I bet you can’t find a recipe easier and quicker than this one. Here is how you can make these wraps:
Step 1: Because we are using precooked canned chickpeas, first of all, we will drain them. Don’t forget to rinse the chickpeas to get rid of any preservatives. Now transfer the chickpeas to a large bowl.
Step 2: Using either a fork or potato masher, lightly mash the chickpeas. This will give a creamy texture to your salad wrap. Make sure some of the chickpeas are left whole. It will also add texture to the chickpeas.
Step 3: Now add the rest of the ingredients, i.e. vegan mayonnaise, chopped green onions, sweet pickle relish, minced garlic, chopped celery, and walnuts.
Step 4: Season with salt and mix well.
Step 5: To assemble the ingredients, first warp your tortilla wrap lightly. Now Place the gluten-free tortillas on a flat plate or surface.
Step 6: Cover the tortilla with lettuce leaves first, then tomato slices and top with chickpea salad.
Step 7: Now start rolling the tortilla from one corner to form a burrito shape. Enjoy!
There are so many ways you can customize this simple chickpea salad wrap. You can literally add whatever you like and enjoy different flavor combinations. Here are a few amazing ideas you must try!
- Tahini sauce: Although vegan mayonnaise is a healthy and creamy choice, you can add a more middle eastern touch to these wraps by using tahini. It is a tasteful condiment made from toasted sesame seeds. It has an earthy and nutty flavor with a creamy richness.
- Vegan cheese sauce: Vegan cheese sauce is one of my all-time favorite recipes. It is made using cashews and other ingredients and is super easy to make. Plus, it is rich, creamy, and very flavorsome. You can happily replace it with vegan mayonnaise.
- Pesto: Bring in zest and zeal of leafy greens by using pesto instead or along with vegan mayonnaise. It adds an Italian touch to your wraps and is very refreshing.
- Spinach: add more nutrients to this wrap by using spinach leaves. They are rich in iron and other nutrients and a good way to fulfill your daily requirement for leafy greens.
- Jalapeno: You can bring in heat and slight spiciness by adding deseeded and chopped jalapenos to the chickpea salad.
- Salsa: Bring in Mexican flavor and freshness by adding salsa along with chickpea wrap. It is indeed a great addition to your humble wrap.
- Guacamole: You can either use sliced avocados or use guacamole in your wrap. The flavor and smoothness of this ingredient is just what you need.
- Sunflower seeds: You can replace walnuts with sunflower seeds. They are also super healthy and a perfect nut-free choice.
- Corns: Add flavor and color to the wrap by adding corn kernels to it.
- Bell pepper: Use green, red, or yellow bell peppers for flavor and color. Bell pepper is an amazing addition to this wrap and makes it more tasteful and wholesome.
- Other vegetables: You can use other vegetables of your choice as well. For instance, try cabbage, carrots, butternut squash, etc., whatever you love will work in this wrap.
- Spices: Add more flavor to this wrap by using sauces and spices like sriracha, cumin powder, smoked paprika, etc.
How to store Chickpea Salad Wraps?
The reason I love these chickpea salad wraps is that they are super easy to make, and therefore you can easily make them in advance and store them. So, if you want to take these wraps to the office for lunch, you can prepare them at night and refrigerate them.
Plus, you can prepare the chickpea salad and refrigerate it for 3 days. Even if you don’t make it in advance, you can make it in no more than 10 minutes!
Other Vegan Chickpea Recipes
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Fortunately, because of the Ads on our website, readers and subscribers of Healthier Steps are sponsoring many underprivileged families.
- Energy: 209 kcal / 874 kJ
- Fat: 8 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Carbs: 29 g
- Preparation: 5 min
- Ready in: 5 min
- For: 2 Servings
For The Chickpea Salad
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise, (Just Mayo or Vegenaise)
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 large Tortillas, (I used gluten-free, vegan)
Extra Veggies For The Wrap
- Place chickpeas in a medium bowl, lightly mash chickpeas using a fork or potato masher leaving some whole chickpeas for texture.
- Stir in mayonnaise, sweet pickle relish, green onions, garlic, celery, walnuts, and salt. Adjust seasoning.
- To assemble wraps, layer lettuce, tomatoes, and chickpea salad on tortillas. Wrap tortillas into a burrito shape and enjoy.