The chickpeas absorbed the flavors of its marinade well, it is quick and easy to prepare. Its delicious served over steamed brown rice and steamed broccoli.
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
I was inspired by this dish after I made a Jamaican jerked chickpeas, it was too spicy for posting and so I decided to further tweak the recipe. In the meantime, I decided to come up with other dishes.
How To Make General Tso's Chick Peas (Vegan, Gluten-Free)
I had plenty of chickpeas, which had been dried, soaked, cooked and placed in freezer containers for later use.
So I defrosted a container of chickpeas and decided to make different dishes. some roasted fennel hummus, chickpea curry and of course I ended up with this flavorful dish. A definite winner recipe tastes just like Chinese takeout!
I basically marinated the drained chickpeas for 10 minutes. Sauteed garlic, spring onion, and ginger. Add chickpeas, sauce and cook until thickened. So quick and easy to prepare, so delicious served with brown rice.
If you use canned chickpeas, you can reserve a 1/4 cup of liquid to use instead of vegetable broth. Chickpeas are very versatile and you would be amazed by all the different recipes that are out there that used chickpeas.
The water that the chickpea cooks in is called aquafaba and I will be sharing recipes using it shortly. Aquafaba can be used to make meringue, whipped cream, etc.
Try Some Of My Other Tasty Chickpea Dishes
- Chickpea Stew
- Easy Chickpea Salad Sandwich
- Chickpea Taco
- Chickpea Shepherd's Pie
- Chickpea Salad Wraps
- Chickpea Noodle Soup
- Curry Chickpea Salad
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- 321 kcal / 1342 kJ
- 8 g
- 15 g
- 49 g
- 23 min
- 5 min
- Ready in:
- 28 min
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas, or 1 (15-ounces) can
- 1 tablespoon Bragg liquid aminos, or, Tamari sauce, or coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tapioca starch, or cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 2 green onions, sliced, extra for garnish
- 1 teaspoon roasted sesame oil
- In a medium bowl, add chickpeas, liquid aminos, lemon juice and tapioca starch. Set aside for 10 minutes to marinate.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium heat, add garlic, ginger and spring onions. Cook for 1-2 minutes stirring constantly until fragrant. Add chickpeas and stir to coat.
- Mix sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Add to chickpeas and cook stirring gently until sauce thickens. Turn off heat and stir in sesame oil. Serve over steamed brown rice and garnish with spring onions.
I am so excited to start a new facebook group, sharing lots of delicious vegan recipes, health tips etc. from our members, please join us at Vegan Recipes With Love! If you tried this recipe, please comment below and let us know how you like it. Also, please follow us on Instagram!