A flavorful twist on traditional Shepherds Pie that is full of flavor, this CHICKPEA SHEPHERD’S PIE tastes so hearty and comforting, savory chickpeas, topping with creamy mashed potatoes are the perfect treat!
When I lived in England I enjoyed Shepherd’s pie which was a minced lamb stew topped with mashed potatoes. Since becoming vegan, I haven’t made a vegan version. I would have used lentils to make my vegan version but that is the most popular vegan version out there and I wanted to present a different twist.
I had a lot of chickpeas in 1 1/2 cups portions in my freezer and I remembered that when I lived in Virginia, I cooked for a couple and they loved when I made my CHICKPEA STEW on top of MASHED POTATOES so I decided that my Chickpea Shepherds Pie would be an adapted version of my chickpeas stew recipe.
How To Make Chickpea Shepherd’s Pie
This vegan casserole recipe is one of the easiest recipes to make, you can use leftover mashed potatoes or even make a double batch of the stew and serve it one day with rice and the next day as Shepherd’s pie. First I made a batch of my Vegan Garlic Mashed Potatoes recipe, while the potatoes are boiling, I prepared the chickpea stew. I used pre-cooked chickpeas or 2 cans. sauteed in onions, garlic, celery, herbs in a seasoned vegetable broth.
You can also sprinkle 1 cup of vegan shreds cheese over the top before broiling. Try my amazing Lentil Shepherd’s Pie recipe.
Other Delicious Vegan Casserole Recipes To Prepare
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
Get Ready For Your Fall Cooking With These Amazing Products. (Amazon Affiliate Links)
- Energy: 291 kcal / 1216 kJ
- Fat: 10 g
- Protein: 9 g
- Carbs: 44 g
- Preparation: 15 min
- Cooking: 30 min
- Ready in: 45 min
- For: 8
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas, or 2 cans
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth, or 1 1/2 cups water plus 1 vegetable bouillon
- 1 tablespoon organic cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons Bragg's liquid aminos
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1 batch Garlic Mashed Potato recipe
- Preheat oven 400 degrees F. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat, add onion and cook stirring until soft, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, celery, and carrots and cook stirring until softened, another 3-5 minute.
- Stir in parsley, basil, oregano, thyme, cumin and cook for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and chickpeas and stir to coat.
- Mix cornstarch with vegetable broth and Bragg's liquid aminos and add to chickpeas, bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer for about 5 more minutes or until thickened and vegetables are tender.
- Spread chickpea stew at the bottom of a 9x13 casserole dish, spread mashed potatoes on top and bake for 20 minutes and broil for 5 minutes for the top to be golden brown (be careful not burning)