For this Thanksgiving, I decided to experiment with a different flavor mashed potato recipe. Last year I served my CARAMELIZED ONION MASHED POTATOES recipe which was a big hit served with my yummy GRAVY recipe.
In my family we love garlic, I know some people can’t take the smell of garlic, this would be a problem if one of my family members didn’t love it but I’m so happy that we all do. So this recipe is perfect for garlic lovers like me. You can also check out my Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes.
Best Potatoes For Mashed Potatoes
I find the best potatoes for fluffy and creamy potatoes are Yukon and Russets. Waxy potatoes like Red Bliss may lead to ‘potato paste’ rosemary garlic mashed potatoes.
How To Make Vegan Garlic Rosemary Mashed Potatoes
For this recipe, I boiled my potatoes with rosemary with chopped garlic to bring out the flavors. You can saute chopped garlic and rosemary and add after you have mashed the potatoes. I also wanted a buttery flavor so I added some vegan butter, I used EARTH BALANCE BUTTERY SPREAD. If you don’t care for using the vegan butter, just leave it out and or add double the amount of olive oil.
Other Delicious Holiday Recipes To Try
If you make this french fried onions recipe snap a photo and hashtag #healthiersteps — we love to see your recipes on Instagram, Facebook & Twitter!
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Course: Side Dish
- Cuisines: American, Soul Food, Southern
- Season: Thanksgiving
- Energy: 205 kcal / 857 kJ
- Fat: 8 g
- Protein: 3 g
- Carbs: 30 g
- Preparation: 15 min
- Cooking: 25 min
- Ready in: 40 min
- For: 6 servings
- 2 1/2 pounds potatoes, scrub, peel and cut into halves
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1-2 sprigs fresh rosemary leaves, extra for garnish
- 1/4 cup non-dairy butter, (I used Earth Balance non-dairy spread)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk, or vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Place potatoes, garlic, and rosemary in a large pot with cold water making sure water covers potatoes (about 1 inch). Bring to boil and reduce to simmer, cook for 15-20 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Drain potatoes and transfer to a large bowl, add non-dairy butter,/non-dairy milk/broth, and salt to taste, mash potatoes with a potato masher until smooth and creamy. Serve!
Hi, i can’t have butters or oils. Would I be able to replace the butter in this with a vegan yogurt. what do you think? thanks
Grace yes, use the unsweetened coconut yogurt, it will be delicious.
I made a variation of this recipe this morning but I omitted the milk/broth and I subbed the non-dairy butter with regular butter. It was creamy and delicious with calloo and I’m sure it will be even more awesome with the curried chickpeas.
Yumm gotta love mashed potatoes