This Vegan Lentil Loaf recipe is so easy to prepare, it is incredibly delicious, it is the perfect Thanksgiving and Christmas main, as a matter of fact, I have made it so many times already and it’s not even Thanksgiving as yet!
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
Originally published Published on: Nov 19, 2017. I decided to redo the long-awaited featured photo.
How To Make Vegan Lentil Loaf
I can’t tell you how delicious this easy lentil loaf was, it had the perfect texture and I used an ingredient that is unique to this recipe but you can easily be substituted with carrot or radish. The heart of palms with the lentils give a great texture.
I used the hearts of palms that you can purchase from Trader Joes or any supermarket here in the USA or ONLINE.
I have tested the recipe with both carrots and radishes and they were delicious!. This vegan meatloaf gets firmer as it cools and the result isn’t mushy. A great recipe to make the day before and reheat in a preheated oven at 350 F for 30 minutes.
Tips For Making The Best Lentil Loaf
- Make sure your lentil is are cooked but all the liquid evaporated, which might mean cooking for longer or adding extra vegetable broth to ensure the lentils are tender.
- Make your own oat flour, process rolled oats in a high-speed blender or food processor.
- It is even better the next day, so it is the perfect make-ahead recipe.
- Substitute homemade ketchup for store-bought.
- Use only green or brown lentils and not red or black lentils.
Homemade Vegan Ketchup
For the topping, I made a homemade ketchup glaze from tomato paste and maple syrup which was quite delicious! You can substitute with your favorite sauce, such as a barbecue or tomato ketchup.
I made a delicious sandwich with the leftover loaf, with vegan mayo, red onions, lettuce and it was so yummy!
You make can make the vegan meatloaf ahead and refrigerate for 3-5 days or freeze without the sauce then just ad the sauce when reheating!
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Energy: 255 kcal / 1066 kJ
- Fat: 12 g
- Protein: 13 g
- Carbs: 27 g
- Preparation: 40 min
- Cooking: 50 min
- Ready in: 1 h 30 min
- 8 slices
- 1 cup green lentils, or brown lentils
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth, or water
- 1 cup heart of palms, or carrot or radishes, finely chopped or processed in a food processor
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 1/4 cup Bragg's liquid aminos, or Tamari sauce
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/3 cup oat flour
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Homemade Ketchup Glaze
- Sort and rinse lentils, add to a medium saucepan with vegetable broth or water, and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes or until all liquid has evaporated and lentils are mushy. Transfer to a large bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher and set aside.
- Meanwhile, finely chop or process heart of palms or radishes in a food processor followed by walnuts until crumbly, transfer the heart of palm/radish to a small bowl and the walnut to the bowl with lentils.
- Preheat oven 375 F. Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high, add onions and cook until soft about 2-3 minutes. Add garlic, celery, heart palm or radish, thyme, paprika, and parsley. Cook stirring frequently until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer cooked vegetables to lentils, stir to combine adding Bragg's liquid aminos, nutritional yeast flakes, oat flour, ground flax seeds and salt.
- Transfer to a 9x5 loaf pan lined with parchment paper hanging over rims for easy removal, spread top with homemade tomato ketchup or your favorite sauce and bake in a preheated oven for 50 minutes,
- Allow the loaf to cool for about 30 minutes before slicing so the loaf will firm up.
Homemade Ketchup Glaze
- Combine tomato paste, water, maple syrup, lemon juice, molasses, garlic powder, onion powder, allspice and salt in a bowl, mix well. Pour into a saucepan and cook for 5 minutes to thicken. Allow to cool and spread over the top of the loaf.