This Vegan BBQ Sauce Recipe is delicious and flavorful, is made from scratch, and comes together in less than 30 minutes.
There is nothing like making your own recipes from scratch, because you have more control of the ingredients and you can customize it to suit your menu. For instance, you can increase/decrease the amount of sweetener, you can substitute the pineapple juice for peach or apricot jam. I love to serve my Vegan BBQ Sauce Recipe on my Vegan Tofu Meatball recipe instead of the sweet and sour sauce or with my Baked Tofu Nuggets.
I share this adapted version, in loving memory of a dear friend, Barbara Raimey, who taught me how to make barbecue tofu. I have cooked this dish more than any other and it is always a winner. Barbara came to visit our family several times. She was quiet and sweet and didn’t say too much. She would love to visit because I lived in the countryside, where it was peaceful and quiet. While she stayed with our family, she didn’t ask for much; she was content and happy and enjoyed just being with us. She would spend hours walking with Devannah and me when Devannah was 6 years old. At the time, I didn’t know Barbara had terminal cancer. I found out that at one point she was an owner of a vegan restaurant and had years of experience as a chef.
For: 2 cups
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 28 ounces tomato puree, or sauce
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons Bragg's liquid aminos
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon roasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- salt, to taste
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil or water on medium heat. Add onion and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add tomato sauce, pineapple juice, maple syrup, Bragg’s liquid aminos, coconut sugar, molasses, parsley, oregano, sesame oil and sea salt to taste. Reduce heat to simmer for 15–20 minutes, stirring constantly until sauce is thickened.
- Ready to be served, or store in a sealed container for 1 week.