FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
What Is Jerk Sauce?
Jerk sauce is a marinade that originated in Jamaica. It consists of key ingredients including thyme, Scotch bonnet pepper, and allspice.
While I was growing up in Jamaica, jerk sauce was rubbed and poked (‘Jerk’) into the meat.
The meat is then cooked in old oil barrels, cut in half lengthwise and fired with charcoal.
For a detailed history of Jerk Sauce, check out Wikipedia’s article.
In the ’80s back in Jamaica, I lived in Hopewell, close to a popular beachfront called ‘Old Steamer’. An old wrecked ship was on the shore.
They had a yearly event called, Fisherman’s Regatta where they had the best jerk chicken.
The local chefs made the best jerk recipes. I recalled the jerk seasoning sauce that they used had a fruity taste,
I tend to go for that flavor in my sauce, so I added orange juice to my sauce and it tastes amazing.
Jamaican Jerk Sauce
I grew up in Jamaica enjoying all these delicious recipes but now as a vegan,
I have made it my passion to make meatless and gluten-free versions of my childhood favorite recipes.
Recently, I made Jamaican Jerk Cauliflower, and it has been a huge hit with my readers. I must say the jerk sauce I made then was a very adapted version.
Today, I decided to make a more authentic Jamaican jerk sauce recipe, although,
I had to reduce the spiciness drastically since I cannot tolerate the heat anymore now that my taste buds have changed as I get older.
I was only able to include two deseeded Scotch bonnet pepper and that was spicy for me.
You can make my recipe as written and then increase the Scotch bonnet pepper to adjust the heat to your taste.
Do you want to take you Jerk sauce to another level?
Add 1/3 cup of your favorite barbecue sauce to the jerk sauce or try my Homemade Vegan BBQ Sauce recipe.
How To Make Jerk Sauce
- To make the jerk sauce recipe, place all the ingredients in a high-speed blender and process until smooth.
- This sauce is ready to use, or you can pour into a container with a tight-fitting lid and keep refrigerated for a week.
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- 6 Escallion, or green onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1-inch ginger, peeled
- 1 tablespoon pimento berries, (allspice)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup orange juice, or pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup organic brown sugar
- 2 or more Scotch Bonnet peppers, deseeded and cored
- Salt to taste
- Place all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Store jerk sauce in an airtight jar in the refrigerator.