As a Jamaican, I grew up with Jerk seasoning being added to meat, and the meat being slowly roasted on open pits. Being a plant-based eater, I get to experiment with jerk seasoning on different plant-based ingredients.
Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
The heat is in high gear here in Florida, hot days with afternoon showers are the norm. Lots of summer fruits and vegetables are here to enjoy, and it’s time for roasting vegetables outdoors.
As we get ready to celebrate the 4th of July, this homemade Jamaican Jerk Seasoning is the perfect seasoning blend to kick your recipes up a notch. Make your own customizable jerk seasoning using spices that are in your pantry.
What Is Jerk Seasoning?
Jerk seasoning is the dry rub made of a special blend of spices, used for preparing a unique style of cooking originating from Jamaica called Jamaican Jerk.
Everyone has their own seasoning blend but the basic ingredients are thyme, allspice, nutmeg, and cinnamon. I added some extra seasoning for flavor and salt. I have used less heat than the traditional version.
Ingredients in Jamaican Jerk Seasoning
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Organic Cane Sugar
How To Make Jerk Seasoning?
To make dry jerk seasoning, mix spice ingredients in a jar until fully combined, and store in an air-tight container for up to 6 months.
How To Use Dry Jerk Seasoning?
- Toss vegetables with oil, followed by jerk seasoning. Roast or stir fry your veggies until tender.
- Add jerk seasoning to your favorite pasta recipe to make it pop, like my Vegan Rasta Pasta Recipe.
- Add jerk seasoning to your favorite curry recipes to give it a boost in flavor.
- Toss homemade popcorn with oil, followed by jerk seasoning.
- Add jerk seasoning to hummus and dips.
- Add it to your favorite burger, tofu, and chickpea recipes.
How To Store Your Jerk Seasoning Blend?
Store in an airtight container for about 1 year.
More Jamaican Recipes To Try
- Jamaican Vegan Recipes
- Jamaican Spice Bun
- Jamaican Callaloo Patty
- Yellow Yam Salad
- Jamaican Boiled Dumplings (Gluten-Free. Vegan)
Amazing Homemade Spice Blends
- Chicken-Style Seasoning
- Creole Seasoning Recipe
- Homemade Shawarma Seasoning
- Easy Curry Powder
- Homemade Chili Powder
Get discounted copies of my cookbook here.
Also please leave a star rating ;-)
Need some encouragement on your Healthier Steps journey?
Join our Facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips, etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends to Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- Energy: 20 kcal / 84 kJ
- Carbs: 5 g
- Preparation: 5 min
- Ready in: 5 min
- 7 Servings
- To make dry jerk seasoning, mix spice ingredients in a jar until fully combined.
- Store in an air-tight container for up to 6 months.