FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
What Flour To Use For Boiled Dumplings?
Making boiled dumplings is an integral part of our Jamaican culture, we serve them boiled or fried, like my Jamaican Festival and we eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
Traditionally wheat flour is mainly used but we love to add cornmeal, green bananas to our dumplings. Since changing my lifestyle to eat gluten-free, I continue to enjoy making and serving my family boiled dumplings without gluten.
I have made my own blend, with brown rice flour, sorghum, and golden flaxseed meal. I have used Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 baking flour with yellow flaxseed meal but my new favorite flour is Krusteaz all-purpose gluten-free flour.
I love to used Krusteaz brand for my Jamaica boiled dumpling recipe because It holds up well, I don't need additional ingredients because it replaces wheat 1 to 1 and it tastes pretty good and the ingredients are mostly whole grain.
Ingredients In Krusteaz Gluten-Free Flour Used For Boiled Dumplings
- Whole Grain Sorghum Flour
- Brown Rice Flour
- Whole Grain Millet Flour
- Rice Flour
- Less than 2% food starch
- Whole Grain Quinoa Flour
- Xanthan Gum
How To Make Jamaican Boiled Dumplings?
To make boiled flour dumplings, bring about 4 cups of cold water with 1 teaspoon of salt to boil in a large pot on medium-high heat.
Place all-purpose gluten-free flour in a bowl, add salt and stir. Slowly add water while stirring until dough comes together. Knead dough into a firm ball but not sticky.
If the dough is sticky, add extra flour. If the dough doesn't come together add extra water. Once you have formed the ball, break off a piece and form into a smooth ball. Flatten ball to form into a thick disk.
Carefully drop each dumpling in boiling salt water. Return to a boil and lower heat to simmer for 15-20 minutes. The dumplings should be floating or more buoyant. Carefully remove dumplings with a fork or slotted spoon and serve.
Other Flavorful Jamaican Recipes To Try
- Jamaican Steamed Cabbage
- Jamaican Lentil Patties
- Jamaican Jerk Cauliflower
- Jamaican Vegan Rundown
- Jamaican Curry Potato
- Vegan Jamaican Curry Tripe And Beans
Join our new facebook groups, sharing lots of delicious vegan and gluten-free recipes, health tips etc., from our members. Please join us and invite your friends Gluten-Free and Vegan For Beginners and Vegan Recipes With Love.
- 210 kcal / 878 kJ
- 1 g
- 6 g
- 44 g
- 5 min
- 20 min
- Ready in:
- 25 min
- Bring about 4 cups of cold water with 1 teaspoon of salt to boil in a large pot on medium-high heat. Add flour and salt to a large bowl and mix. Slowly add water and mix to form into a firm dough ball. You may need to add extra water, one tablespoon at a time if it is too dry. If the dough is too sticky, slowly add 1 tablespoon of flour at a time.
- Note that these measurements are specific to Krusteaz brand of all-purpose gluten-free flour. The water can be more or less depending on the brand of flour used but the steps are the same using any brand.
- Once the dough comes together, knead dough to form a smooth ball. Break off pieces of dough and roll in between palm of hands to form a smooth round ball. Flatten dough ball to form a disc.
- You can make spinners or cylindrical dumplings by rolling the dough ball in the palm of your hands in a hand washing manner.
- Carefully drop each dumpling in boiling salt water. Return to a boil and lower heat to simmer for 15-20 minutes. The dumplings should be buoyant. Carefully remove dumplings with a fork or slotted spoon and serve.