These flavorful Jamaican Lentil Patties is a gluten-free and vegan version of the very popular Jamaican beef patty. Savory lentils cooked in aromatic herbs and spices in a buttery pastry.
Jamaican Patties would be considered the Jamaican fast food. In this version, I used lentils instead of ground meat and placed in a gluten-free and vegan crust. The taste is right on and very flavorful. I added curry powder to the crust for that signature golden color.
Note updated Nov. 15, 2017 : I have worked long on hard on this recipe, originally I wanted to use only ingredients that can be found worldwide but this is the best version so far with a flaky crust, just last night I had a close friend who is also Jamaican try it and she was blown away by the results and wanted the recipe. Well, I wanted to use only coconut oil but find that Earth Balance Vegan Butter gave me a better crust but if you are in parts of the world that you can't purchase it then substitute with coconut oil starting with 1/4 cup.
By all means, use your favorite crust with this recipe, the filling is the best vegan filling you will ever find!!!
Check out more about the history of Jamaican patties here
I have been meaning to do a step-by-step recipe on how I make my vegan and gluten-free version of my Jamaican Lentil Patties. Working with gluten-free dough is pretty tricky because you are working with a dough that has less elasticity than regular wheat flour dough.
Making gluten-free dough is not the same as using regular flour, but it can be pretty close! I don't add xanthan gum to my dough but you can add 1 teaspoon to the recipe. I roll the dough in a circle in between parchment papers, then I added the seasoned lentils Fold the dough in half over the lentil filling with the parchment paper.
It is so much easier to work with the dough when it is placed between sheets of parchment paper and rolled using a rolling pin. Remove the top sheet, add the filling and fold the bottom sheet over, as shown above, Seal edges and crimp with a fork as shown below.
I love to use ground flax-seeds as the egg-replacer and Oat flour as gluten-free flour. You can substitute with brown rice flour, sorghum or millet flour. I also added tapioca starch and potato starch as a binder. Obviously, these patties are not the same as traditional beef patties but they are the best and most flavorful you will find that are gluten-free and vegan.
I have lots of fun ‘veganizing’ traditional Jamaican dishes, you can check out some of my favorites:
- Jamaican Stewed Peas With Dumplings
- Jamaican Spicy Potato Curry
- Jamaican Lentil Patties
- Jamaican Pumpkin Soup (Pureed)
- Jamaican Banana Fritters
- Jamaican Sweet Potato Pudding
- Jamaican Gungo Peas Soup
- Jamaican Vegan Rundown Recipe
- Jamaican Cornmeal Porridge Bowl
- Vegan Ackee
- 422 kcal / 1764 kJ
- 16 g
- 13 g
- 58 g
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/2 cup onion , finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 spring onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground paprika
- Pinch allspice
- 1/2 cup brown lentils
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon Bragg liquid aminos/tamari/coconut aminos
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups oat flour*
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup Vegan Butter , (I used Earth Balance)
- 45 min
- 1 h 1 min
- Ready in:
- 1 h 46 min
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, spring onion, and garlic and saute stirring constantly until onion is soft. About 3 minutes.
- Add thyme, turmeric, paprika, cumin, allspice, lentil and stir to coat.
- Add water or broth and bring to boil. Cover saucepan and reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated and lentils are tender.
- Stir in liquid aminos, cayenne pepper and salt to taste. Remove from heat and allow to cool while preparing the crust.
- Preheat oven 400°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine oat flour. flax seed meal, tapioca starch, potato starch, baking powder, sea salt, and curry powder
- Stir in vegan butter until the dough resembles crumbs. Stir in almond milk and use hand to form a dough ball.
- Further divide ball into 8 smaller balls. Roll out each ball in between 2 parchment paper sheets using a rolling pin, about a 4-inch circle.
- Remove top layer sheet, add 1 tablespoon of lentil filling on one half of circle, making sure to leave edges clear. Fold over the other half, by folding parchment paper and seal crimping edges with a fork.
- Transfer to baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.