Vegan Jackfruit Stew bursting with flavors, a perfect comfort stew that tastes amazing!
My son is so excited to start his new lessons with Florida Virtual Home School program, he just couldn’t contain himself. Due to Hurricane Irma, his textbooks were delayed but they arrived today so he is ready for an exciting school year!
While Daevyd was studying, I made this delicious Vegan Jackfruit Stew seasoned with onion, garlic, celery, pepper, and herbs. It is hearty and delicious served with rice, potato or quinoa with a garden salad. I love to make vegan stews so check out my Chickpea Stew (Vegan, Gluten-free), and Jamaican Stew Peas with Dumplings Spinners (Vegan).
This is a simple recipe that tastes great, and it is colorful and vibrant. I love green jackfruit’s texture. This recipe reminds me of the brown stews that I had growing up in Jamaica made with beef or chicken. I’m so happy that no animals were harmed in making my Vegan Jackfruit Stew, and it tastes so delicious.
For this recipe, I used jackfruit in the can but you can use fresh jackfruit if that’s what available. Here is a TUTORIAL on preparing fresh green jackfruit.
Come and join our informative, supportive, inspiring Facebook group Vegan Recipes With Love to help you stay motivated on your journey. Our members share lots of recipes, health benefits of foods and tips! Bring your friends too!
For: 14 servings
- 1 can young green jackfruit drained, (do not use ripe jackfruit or the one in syrup)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or coconut
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme or, 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasonings
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Bragg's liquid aminos, or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 carrot, cut in slices
- 2 cups vegetable broth, (gluten-free)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium-high, add onion and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, celery. bell pepper, thyme, Italian seasoning and cook for about 1-minute stirring.
- Stir in tomatoes and cook stirring for another minute
- Add green jackfruit, Bragg's liquid aminos, ketchup, carrot and stir to coat with seasonings.
- Add broth, bay leaf, and sugar. Bring stew to boil. Reduce heat to simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until jackfruit is tender.
- Mix cornstarch with water until completely dissolved. Add to stew and stir until the sauce is thickened.
- Delicious served with rice, potatoes, quinoa or on its own.