FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS, SCROLL TO SEE THE RECIPE CARD AT THE END. BUT BEFORE YOU SCROLL CHECK IMPORTANT INFORMATION THAT IS INCLUDED IN THE BLURB.
I made this delicious Vegan Jackfruit Stew seasoned with onion, garlic, celery, pepper, and herbs. It is hearty and delicious served with rice, potato or quinoa with a garden salad. I love to make vegan stews so check out my Chickpea Stew (Vegan, Gluten-free), and Jamaican Stew Peas with Dumplings Spinners (Vegan).
What Is Jackfruit?
Jackfruit is a large fruit, a species of the mulberry, fig, breadfruit family and it a native to India. The ripe and unripe fruit is used in Asian cuisines. It is a popular meat substitute and it has become a fast-growing trendy food here in the USA
The ripened fruit of the jackfruit is sweet, it is used as a dessert in pies, custard, cakes and ice cream. The unripe fruit of the young green jackfruit is used in savory recipes because its texture is like that of poultry. to prepare curries, pulled pork alternative. Jackfruit is also healthy, low in calories, fat and high in fiber. Jackfruit contains 3 grams of fiber per serving.
This is a simple recipe for Jackfruit Stew, that tastes great, and it is colorful and vibrant. I love green jackfruit's texture. This recipe reminds me of the brown stews that I had growing up in Jamaica made with beef or chicken. I'm so happy that no animals were harmed in making my Vegan Jackfruit Stew, and it tastes so delicious.
For this recipe, I used jackfruit in the can but you can use fresh jackfruit if that's what available. Here is a TUTORIAL on preparing fresh green jackfruit.
- 103 kcal / 431 kJ
- 5 g
- 4 g
- 0 g
- 15 min
- 20 min
- Ready in:
- 40 min
- 1 can green jackfruit, drained, (do not use ripe jackfruit or the one in syrup)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or coconut
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme, or, 1 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Bragg's liquid aminos, or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 carrot, cut in slices
- 1 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 2 cups vegetable broth, (gluten-free)
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of allspice, (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper, optional
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- parsley, for garnish
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium-high, add onion and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, celery. bell pepper, thyme, Italian seasoning and cook for about 1-minute stirring.
- Stir in tomatoes and cook stirring for another minute
- Add green jackfruit, Bragg's liquid aminos, ketchup, carrot and stir to coat with seasonings.
- Add broth, bay leaf, coconut sugar, allspice and cayenne pepper. Bring stew to boil. Reduce heat to simmer for about 15-20 minutes or until jackfruit is tender. Use a fork and shred some of the jackfruits.
- Mix cornstarch with water until completely dissolved. Add to stew and stir until the sauce is thickened.
- Delicious served with rice, potatoes, quinoa or on its own with a salad or greens.